Pop up for connection speed

I’m not sure if this is possible, nor am I sure I’m posting in the right forum but what they hey -

I have designed an intranet site for our group at work but it’s available to a much larger, national, audience. I have currently a little coldfusion snippet to load in a random image on the opening page. However this bogs down those remote field stations with crappy connection speeds trying to connect to our site. So I want to instead create a button for a slideshow that would be a page within the site that someone could go check out if they wanted. I’m thinking it would be cool to have a flash slideshow for those with fast connections and do something else for slow connections.

Now here’s where it gets sticky for me - most folks offering two versions of a site have that choice made on a splash screen. Since my slideshow will be just a page buried within the site I was wondering if it would be possible to have a little pop up window launch when someone clicks on “take me to the slideshow”. The pop up window would contain the choice (fast or slow connection) and then load the appropriate page.

This would be a lot sexier than clicking “take me to the slidehow” and going to a page where you have to choose your connection speed and THEN going to the appropriate page.

Does this make sense and is it possible? I know NO javascript but I’m guessing that’s what is necessary? or VB or something?

thanks
:hr: