Predictive Spam Fighting / Spam Hall of Fame

Just like the predictive policing shown in Minority Report, I think a bunch of us have developed the skills to identify a spammer from tens of miles away. This thread will be a place to document our nearly 100% success rate of identifying spammers who haven’t yet spammed…but soon will.

Note: Spammers identified here won’t be banned until they actually spam. By the time some of you see these posts, that may have already happened and the spammers in question will have been removed.

2 Likes

First one:

Reasons why:

• First post wasn’t really normal
  • Bio contains some of the top $$$ keywords and seems pulled from a marketing site
  • Historically, the e-visa people have been the biggest spammers on this site

A couple of new, short phrase, “agreement” posts

1 Like

Broadening this topic to be both predictive spam fighting as well as a Hall of Fame. Today’s winner:

Given the number of months the coronavirus problem has been around for, I’m surprised it took us this long to get the first spam result from it haha.

Idk :thinking: This one might be ok…

I’ll bet you 50 senocular dollars :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like this user @kirupa slipped through the system and is blowing this place up. :grin:

4 Likes

But as a bonus side effect, I’m learning a lot about silverlight!

1 Like

Hahaha! I will go through and clean those up later tonight :grinning:

The one from 2009 about random number generation in as3. I wonder if that’s what brought me here. I did some flash stuff earlier but the first time I really attempted to learn to code anything (and apparently joined this site) was probably 2009ish, and I recall making a box fight its own position with random numbers. I believe I concluded Math.random() was random enough for me

2 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

Well…it is tonight somewhere in the world :stuck_out_tongue:

(Just removed a bunch!)

Why are they getting added, though? Is this some kind of automated process? Why hasn’t this happened before? Is it related to the changes you were making to the site for themes? If so, are we to expect this to happen again in the future with other changes? And when will it stop now? :exploding_head:

These are one-time events. I think a search engine or scraper is indexing all of this really hidden content on the site, and it is triggering the topic generation scripts. I am resetting the date for all these new topics to sometime in 2018 to get them to disappear from our main view. It should be stopping soon :innocent:

1 Like

Some of them have dates which is useful, like kirupa.com - Using Toggle Buttons - Page 3. But some don’t, like What is UI Virtualization?. Are these new[er]?

Yeah. The newer articles published in the last two years-ish don’t have dates on them anymore. I was always on the fence on whether dates added value. What are your thoughts?

I like dates.

Won’t dates make many types of content look old even if the content is still relevant? By removing dates, my hope was to give the impression that what the reader is seeing is always up-to-date.