Rollover linking menu to image

Hi y’all, I’ve been working on a side project for my school, and am working on doing a campus map in flash for the school website.
I have a side menu, which lists all the building names, and all the buildings layed out and completed.
What I want to do, is set a button to each building/corresponding name, so that when either of them (building or name) have the mouse over them, a line appears between them.
So far, I’ve got two problems. one is, the line that is meant to appear after one of the objects is gone over with the mouse is being counted as part of the object, so as you’re moving the mouse around the screen, lines will pop up between buildings and names when you go over them…
secondly, I can’t make the line pop up when the mouse is moved over the button… only the building or the line Have I made sense? can anyone help?
Attached is a .swf of what I’ve got… at this stage, I am working on getting the ‘administration’ button working, so that’s the only one with a line connecting.
I can’t attach the .fla because it’s too large and I have no webspace to upload to.