Setting Up Your React Dev Environment Easily

I’m getting an error when run this command “./node_modules/.bin/webpack” in Node.js Command Prompt.

error : ‘.’ is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file .

Thanks

Try the following:

node_modules\.bin\webpack

Let me know if that works out for you :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that too but didn’t work . Then I tried just webpack that works. i’m not sure why?

I’m using Visual Studio 2015 and the JSX inteligence are not working … any idea ?
Thanks And Much appreciated your help …

well explained “React” setup tutorial .

That is interesting that webpack works but the longer command doesn’t. I’ll have to do some more experimenting to see where things are breaking :stuck_out_tongue:

VS2015 may not support JSX intellisense out of the box.The posted solution here may work: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34097915/visual-studio-2015-jsx-es2015-syntax-highlighting

:slight_smile:

Thanks for your help

Your React book is the best! Yours is the only one that got me through the entire setup process. I think everything is correct, (and webpack runs fine), but when I open the html page, the page is empty. When I view source on the page it has all the HTML from the example, including the src="output/myCode.js javascript.

Any thoughts? Must be something simple, but I’ve triple checked everything and I’m stuck.

1 Like

Are you using create-react-app? When you do a npm start, does the example work fine in the browser? :slight_smile:

I didn’t use create-react-app (but followed the book’s step-by-step process of building it manually, which was quite informative). When I tried npm start in the MyTotallyAwesomeApp directory, I get an error: “missing script: start”. I didn’t see anything very interesting in the detailed error that was logged (but maybe I’m not seeing something obvious.

Oh gotcha! The instructions in the book are really outdated at this point. The second edition due in about a month will fix that. In the meantime, here is the latest version of that chapter: https://www.kirupa.com/react/setting_up_react_environment.htm

Sorry for the run-around. This is one of those areas that changed significantly since publication last year :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick response! The new chapter you linked worked great!

1 Like