Simple Button Question

I used to be a regular Flash user around version 4 but since then I have been out of the game. I picked up a version of Flash MX and now I can’t even make a simple mouseover button.

I tried following some tutorials but every time I make a button the mouseover part doesn’t work when going over the text. It seems as though the text has a seperate hotspot box than the rest of the button. I tried to combine them into one hot spot but it just doesn’t work.

Any help that anyone can give me would be much appreciated. I just hope everyone understands what I am trying to say.

Sounds like you entered some text, then converted it into a button then just left it. That way the mouse moving over the text looks jerky and only the text part acts as a button. If this is the case, double click the button, click on the hit state, press f6 for a keyframe and draw a rectangle where you want the hit area to be. The rectangel won’t show when you test the movie, it’s only for the hit area.

dammit flex, don’t you ever sleep??

you’re always online here…

I didn’t think I explained it correctly. I will try it again.

I am trying to make a simple button that is just a colored rectangle with text on it. What I do is just make a simple rectangle and then I put some text over it. After that I select both of them and then do convert to symbol. I change the up, over, and down states and even make a box in the hit state where I want the hotspot to be. When I play the movie the button works but only in areas that there is no text. When I go over the text is turns back into the I cursor and nothing happens.

When I look at the button there is a seperate box around the text. I hope that helps. Thank you all for helping me out.

Eilsoe:

1. I get very little sleep.
  2. I’m on broadband so my pc stays on nearly 24/7.
  3. I work as a consultant so my work is on the pc nearly all day, unless at a clients site.
  4. I’m not going to be around (that much) really anymore.
  5. And you’re the one with an addicted to the forum thread!

Like I was saying to Arqos - I spend alot of time helping others and I’m behind on my own projects. And I’m not really in too much of a helpful mood anymore.

AEBoy: check your states properly and the keyframes in the states. Put up a fla it’s easier.

Here it is

You had your text as dynamic text - it should be static text

Thank you very much. Boy that has been giving me a headache.

yep , flex is the man.

He not in the mood , but he just keeps finding the time to help people out. These forums would suck with out him .