Suggestions and direction for a web project

Guys, I’m posting this here, because I think I’ll get a wider range of suggestions, than if I posted it only in Client Side, or Server Side, or whatever. Plus, I’m not sure my question would fit strictly in one particular forum.

So- I have an opportunity to design and maintain a website that would gather lead information for resorts and vacation spots. The idea is, a person would visit the site, provide contact information, and then this information would be forwarded on to a particular resort.

I’ve never really done anything like this. I don’t know what would be involved. So, asking all the kirupan experts on such things, what would be the best way to approach this? Setting up a database? Simply using PHP to create web forms that would shoot emails off to the appropriate place? Or something else?

I’m not looking for specific scripts or code or anything. I’m gathering information on what it would take to execute this project, and whether it’s something I could learn quickly, or if I’m better off just giving it a pass.

thanks as always