Tesla Web Browser Details + Benchmarks

Hi everyone - I was fiddling with the Tesla web browser the other day, and I wanted to share some details since I didn’t see much posted about it online. These details are based on the 2020.48.26 Tesla software update on the Model Y, so if you are looking at this in a different software version or car model, the results may be different.

TL;DR
The summary is that the built-in browser is great for browsing. Animations and videos are quite snappy:

Its benchmark results could be better, but for browsing (from inside a car) the handful of sites I looked at worked just like I would have expected. It was definitely better than using the smaller screen on my phone.

Browser Details
The built-in browser is based on Chromium (Chromium 79.0.3945.130 on Linux), a change made a few years ago. This is the full user-agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; GNU/Linux) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chromium/79.0.3945.130 Chrome/79.0.3945.130 Safari/537.36 Tesla/2020.48.26-e3178ea250ba

On the Model Y, the screen resolution is 1920x1200.

HTML5 Test
Because the browser is based on a recent-ish build of Chromium, the HTML5Test results are quite good:

You can browse the results here. Compared to my Macbook Air (Chrome Dev 87.0.4280.88), the results for the Tesla browser are higher. It scores a 10/10 for Web Components, for example, while my Air scores only a 6/10. There are a few more device specific items the Tesla browser scores higher on.

MotionMark and Speedometer
The media/graphics-heavy MotionMark score for the Tesla browser was a 19.09:

That is compared to 69.39 on my Macbook Air. On Speedometer, the Tesla browser came in at a 11.7 while my Macbook Air was a 55.5. This is where I should mention that I am not a benchmarking pro :partying_face:

Let me know if you all have any questions and I can try to address them here.

Cheers,
Kirupa :oncoming_automobile:

1 Like

What combination of turn signals and windshield wipers do you need to activate to take a screen shot?

1 Like

Hahahah! I never bothered looking :grinning:

Probably the Konami code equivalent.

On a slightly more serious note; can you get any additional info from chrome://gpu/ or similar URLs?

Totally! Are there any other URLs you would like me to check?

Curious if chrome://about (the URL list) works or, less likely, if about:mozilla works. Any of the debugging URIs really.

Those URLs don’t work :confused:

1 Like