You’ve all undoubtedly seen yahoo maps, mapquest, google maps and possibly even google earth (really cool app).
I have a project where I need to create something on a much smaller scale but none the less similar to these applications.
Explanation:
The map will load in a large area of the city … doesn’t matter to me if it’s broken up into grids or if it’s the whole thing … but the whole thing i fear would be way too processor intensive to be useful for most people. So my thought is to have the map broken up into a grid system and as you pan through the map it will detect that it’s nearing the edge of a grid and load in the appropriate grid piece to continue going that direction.
Eventually I’d also like for this to have a zoom feature so in addition to pan functions for the 4 cardinal directions, the functions will need to detect zoom level and be able to scale up or down and load the appropriate grid pieces.
I think that at some point in the zoom it will be necessary to load a seperate set of grid pieces because as details get smaller there are certain things that will fade in / out
I think a class for objects would be the best way to handle that so that I could set to an object a property that will be based on zoom … thereby telling it to enlarge, shrink, fade in or out based on the zoom level.
Sounds kinda complicated but I think it’ll be a great challenge. If you have pieces that will help with this, snippets of code or a similar application that you’re willing to share for information … please post 
Thanks, and Happy Holidays
-Shuga