Tips for photoshop and extracting images

Hey guys,

Hope your weekend is going good.

I’m sat here playing in photoshop trying to achieve some effect with photo extraction etc. While I know how to best extract the parts of the image I want (I’m using the Quick Mask), I do have a few questions.

(1) Is it possible to save the mask so I can go back and edit it later?

(2) As much as I’m trying, my edges are still a little rough. Any tips for smoothing them out?

Any other tips will be welcomed with open arms.

Cheers. YP

post a psd so I can see what youre trying to achieve exactly and I’ll definitly give you some advice.

Peace

about the mask thing… if you dont apply the mask and just save the entire psd next time you open it it will be there. I guess I am not sure what you mean - as photoshop saves EVERYTHING.

Peace

Well I only just started, so I’m only at the extracting phase. Here’s a gif.

Cheers.

*Originally posted by Ryall *
**about the mask thing… if you dont apply the mask and just save the entire psd next time you open it it will be there. I guess I am not sure what you mean - as photoshop saves EVERYTHING.

Peace **

Don’t worry … it’s probably just me … usually is! :slight_smile:

if you want to just have the flower against the white background, this is what i’ve found to help for softening the edges: just use drop shadow, and have the setting so that it is barely seen, but still there enough so that it gifts the illusion of softer edges. having a dark drop shadow would work with a picture like this moreso because the edges of the flower are fairly dark, so it’ll kind of just blend together.

maybe try like a distance of 0, spead of 7, and size of 4… i don’t know. this probably isn’t an effect you want added on. this is just something i would do in such a situation.

you could also just go along the entire edge with the smudge tool at a low pressure with a small brush… i don’t know :-\

some great ideas there sonmi … thanks … actually … i just applied the effect i wanted and it hards the harsh edges … although they still need tidying up … see here … a work in progress obviously but getting there …

TIP!

After spending LOTS of delicate time extracting an image, save the image properly. Just lost the master of my extraction - have to start again! :frowning: Oh well, all experience I suppose!

YP did you just use a patten to do that to the Lilly? It looks SO good! Best wishes on it! I can’t wait to see the final result, please post it!

To be honest mdipi, the whole creation was a complete fluke!!! :beam: I just just screwing around and it happened. However, I’m just about to recreate it so I will chart what I do and let you know.

Thanks for the compliments. I really like it too.

YP

I feel like such a pratt!!! Does anyone know how I ‘may’ of created the effect in the above post … I know I put a crosshatch filter on it, but that was at the end, I don’t know how I knocked out the colour like that … I was kind of aimlessly pressing stuff … LOL … I hate it when that happens …

note to self records actions in PS, that’s what its there for!

Nevermind, GOT IT! :beam:

*Originally posted by Ryall *
**about the mask thing… if you dont apply the mask and just save the entire psd next time you open it it will be there. I guess I am not sure what you mean - as photoshop saves EVERYTHING.

Peace **

Okay, so I really need to understand this because I’m EXTRACTING for the third time. This time I only needed to knock back in some edges and the mask is gone.

At no point does it ask me if I want to apply or not. When I switch back from Quick Mask it automatically selects the area I’ve highlighted, I press delete and the unhighlighted areas get knocked out.

just save while still in quickmask mode, it worked for me :P.

this is what i did:

before

after

Yeah Mike, I caught onto that one. I was saving after mask applied, but I just assumed you could click back and it would be there. That sucks.

Nice work btw.

hey thanks for the compliment. Yeah its not there, i did the same thing you did for a while when i first played around with quick masks. :(. BTW what contry are you from? The only place i have ever hear Yorkshire Pudding was when i was in Windsor, England…come to think of it, that was the only place i ever had it too…

I’m from Yorkshire, England. But, I live in Toronto, Canada now.

York, you can also feather the edges of your selection, it will blur the edges so you can’t see the jagged edges. Here’s a link to a tutorial, hope it helps.

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/Seminars/feathering/feathering.html