To RenaissanceGirl

OK, second time I post, that Ezboard is really getting on my nerves…\rAnyway, I was wondering how you did that rolling carpet thing, with the objects going in and out. Going in OR out is no problem, but in AND out is. I tried to do something that looked like it,and it works, more or less, but I’m sure my way isn’t the right way. Could you please tell me how you did that ?\r\rThanks.\r\rpom 0]

Not so well explained, after all… The thing I don’t quite get is how you make your rolling thing go back in, which ever it may be, and THEN make the next one go OUT.\rI sense this isn’t clear at all, so just tell me.\rpôm 0]

Sorry ily, I totally missed this thread! I usually check Flash 5, Random, and the Site Check boards… haven’t really gotten around to this one lately.\r\rBasically, I animate all of it regularly then add stop actions to each one (for instance, I will animate the conveyor belt rolling out, then rolling back in, label the frame sequences “rollout” and “rollin,” and add a stop function at the beginning of each sequence). Then, I named the instance, ie: “belt.” Then I use the tellTarget function to call each animation to roll on cue. It’s makes it easier to get the whole thing down by steps first:\r\rWhen nav button is pushed, ie - on (press, release):\r1. Open doors.\r2. Check if conveyor belt is empty (using boolean and if/else functions)\r3. If it is not empty, using tellTarget(), tell conveyor to play the “rollin” sequence, and check which menu is loaded, tell that menu to play “exit” sequence.\r4. Once the belt is empty (or if it was already empty, in which case, step 3 would be entirely skipped) tell conveyor to “rollout” and tell selected menu to play “enter” sequence.\r5. When the menu has entered or loaded, tell doors to play “close” and stop.\r\rThe tellTarget function is one of the most powerful that actionscript has to offer. I’m glad I stumbled upon it! 95% of my site is powered by the tellTarget function and basic animation (tweening, etc). It can be a little frustrating, but try and get your idea down on paper (ie: open doors, conveyor belt roll, menu rollout, close doors, etc…). It seems like a simple and extraneous thing, but it helps a great deal in the long run.\r\rI hope this clarified some things… if you have more questions, ask away. I will be checking this thread from now on.

Thanks for your answer RG (in French, RG is a spcial police force… hum). But I’m still in the fog.

Once the belt is empty…
That’s where the trouble is. How do you check that it’s back in ? With a variable ? And how do you manage the timing of all this. I mean, you’ll have to store the name of the clip to “rollout” somewhere to tellTarget it afterwards… \rI don’t know, it’s still not so clear to me.\rpom 0]

will you please cut with your french act? everybody knows you ain’t french, fake frencher boy! ah, oui, tu est français…COMME JE SUIS…!!! muahahaha.

french police…don’t you mean GIG ??\r:P\rjeremy

Hey, Thoriphes, let me ask you one question : have you ever seen anybody pretend he was French when he wasn’t ??? Kinda like saying “My girlfriend is fat” when she’s not. Scares people away :smiley: \rAnd Jeremy, I see you play Counterstrike. Good for you. GIGN is something like Groupe d’Intervention… bla bla, which would translate to Intervention Group bla bla, whereas RG means Renseignements Généraux, General intelligence Agency if you want (GIA… soulds cool, don’t you think ?)\r\rpom 0]

oops… ignore this

Sorry, ok here’s an example:\r\rI create the clip of the rolling conveyor belt: frames 1-20 will occupy the conveyor belt rolling in and frames 21-40 will show it rolling out. I enter stop actions on frames 1, 20, 21 and 40 (so it doesn’t roll in and out on a loop). I then label each sequence: “rollin” and “rollout.” I place an instance of the clip on the main timeline and name it “belt.” It is now ready to be manipulted using the tellTarget function.\r\rNow, I use a boolean variable and an if/else statement to check if it is empty. I place it on the main timeline so it is easier to retrieve (_root.empty). When the movie first plays, it is empty, therefore:\r\rvar empty = true;\r\rOnce any of the buttons is pushed, an if/else statement checks if it is empty:\r\rif (_root.empty == false) {\r …play “rollin” and “exit” that menu\r} else\r …play “rollout” and “enter” the new menu\r}\r\rthe button will also change the “empty” variable to false, because a new menu is about to be loaded:\r\ron (press) {\r empty = false;\r}\r\rIt’s pretty simple really - you just have to play it out in your head… or better yet, write it down… plus there’s a lot of tedious coding, but that can be alleviated by a number of ways… hope this gets the ball rolling for you. Again, keep the questions coming if need be.