Wanna help me make some funny cartoons? Please? Pretty Please? :)

Hey everyone. I’m new to this forum and hope to learn some valuable stuff about Flash programming with it. Just seeing some of the small banners and visiting a couple sites some of you have made, I’m extremely impressed with your talents. I wish I could do that.

I’m writing this post to ask all of you if anyone would be interested in helping me create some Flash movies/cartoons for my website? I’m horrible with Flash, and in particular any sort of drawing. Because of this, I need someone who can draw as well as use Flash to animate the movies for me.

My idea is to make different short cartoons along the lines of the Simpsons or The Family Guy. Some of it might be a little more low brow, but all just in good fun. Myself and a few of my friends will mostly create the stories, we just need someone to “bring it to life.”

If any of you are at all interested, please either reply to this thread or PM me or contact me on AIM. I have some great ideas and would love to be able to collaborate with someone to make them reality.

I cannot pay you, for my website is free, but I will provide a permanent link to your site (if you have one) on my main page, as well as various plugs on the site. And of course, you can create credits in the movies themselves to plug your site.

Thank you all for your time. I apologize if this annoys anyone. I’m desperate for help. :slight_smile:

Jeff

Well, I don’t have a site of my own (yet - I’m working on it), but I do have a lot of spare time and I’m not too bad with a pencil / mouse (delete as appropriate).

I’ve stuck a couple of files in a zip here so you can have a look. They aren’t the greatest ever, but you can get an idea.

Of course, if I remembered to attach the zip…

Here it is. Any good to you?

um… keep in mind that anyone who can make a cartoon with Flash can earn money doing so. If it’s just a “for free” kind of thing there better be some sort of perks associated with doing it. Do not commit yourself to anything Kit. These projects seem small and simple at first… but five minutes worth of animation, with a production crew of 1 can take months to produce.

not to burst any bubbles or anything… just want to make sure I’m looking out for Kirupa members. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice. :slight_smile:

At the moment I really don’t mind working for free - it’s more that I need all the practice I can get at doing this. If I get paid for it, then that’s a bonus. Maybe if I got any good with the whole animation thing, then yeah, I would start to charge for my services. :slight_smile:

I’ve had a chat with this guy, and he’s on the level. They run a website and want to put some more stuff on it… But I do appreciate that there’s a lot of sharks out there. I wouldn’t want myself or anyone else to get ripped off. :slight_smile:

There’d be no point in agreeing to do a massive project for beans. Apart from anything else, what with holding down a full time job as well, the cartoon would never get done!

too true. Glad the guy is on the level. In addition, I’m really not a fine one to talk since I take on all sorts of projects for free. When one feels like their skills are still in the amature state, like you and I do, it’s understandable to work some projects for free. After all, any project is still going into the portfolio and therefore will end up paying for itself in the long run.

Yep that’s the theory.

When you think about it, would you rather pay someone with no real commercial experience or a pro?

It’s a good way for the unknowns (as it were) to get recognised in the online community. Once you’ve got your name out there and people srat approaching you, then you’re in a much better position to bargain and charge for work.

Personally, I’ve got no cartoons to my name, and never done a project like that before. It’s all good experience. :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by david *
**um… keep in mind that anyone who can make a cartoon with Flash can earn money doing so. If it’s just a “for free” kind of thing there better be some sort of perks associated with doing it. Do not commit yourself to anything Kit. These projects seem small and simple at first… but five minutes worth of animation, with a production crew of 1 can take months to produce.

not to burst any bubbles or anything… just want to make sure I’m looking out for Kirupa members. :slight_smile: **

Just so you know and anyone else who might be reading this thread.

I DO NOT and WILL NOT take advantage of anyone. I understand that there are people out there who would ask for the world and expect to pay nothing for it. But I am not one of them. I can’t offer to pay anyone right now for their services, but I always do as much as I can to help someone out, be it with their own website or otherwise.

The last thing I want to do is take advantage of Kitiara, and she has absolutely no obligation to me. My website is just a hobby to me and nothing more, and if you look at it, you’ll tell that just about all the stuff on there people would only do in their spare time. It’s not an extensive production by any means. Because of this, I only want Kit to treat this as a hobby. When it feels like it’s more than a hobby to her and she wishes to not deal with it, I wouldn’t give her any crap about it.

I know you said you weren’t trying to burst any bubbles, but I had to reply because I didn’t want to seem to anyone that I was the kind of person who would take advantage of someone.

and I thank you for that sir. Sorry to make the statement on your thread in particular. I didn’t have any indication, nor really did I accuse you in particular of being a bad person. I am glad to know that you’re not though.

Perhaps I’m jaded…

I think that things like that need to be said though… not only to make sure that we are protecting ourselves, but also so that anyone who gets such things in their mind who reads such a post will know that we are keeping these things in the back of our minds.

If you particularly took offense to my warning though, I’m sorry. That was not my intent.

Good luck to you in your enterprise… I absolutely love new web cartoons and am a big fan of Kit’s work so far. I hope you guys can get something really cool going. I’ve been telling her for a few weeks that she really needs to do something with the ‘london angel’. The character is just the sort, in style and technique, that goes over really well on the web. Since she’s experienced with vector art already… Flash is a natural medium.