What are these two effects called?

Hi guys can someone tell me what the two effects are called and what relevant tutorials I need to look for in order to get similar results. The site with the effects in question is: www.globalnet.ie

and the two effects im talking about are the little random dots floating around + the verticle bars moving horizontally in a random fashion.