What is the difference between LoadMovie and LoadMovieNum

ok … the controller mc that i think is causing the problem is ON the main timeline of the movie being loaded so i first took all the "_root"s out and that broke it so i changed them all back and put “_parent” in their place. the movie works by itself and when i load it it doesnt just play like it did before (camera view was spinning around and its not supposed to onLoad) so now that it isn’t doing anything like it’s supposed to i’m assuming its working

however it still isnt responding to my buttons. the buttons display their over and down states like they’re supposed to but when i rollOver them they don’t cause the action indicated in the script like they’re supposed to.

so i tried changing the number after the comma

from
_root.movies.loadMovie(“2B.swf”, 0);
to
_root.movies.loadMovie(“2B.swf”, 1);
as well as 10, 25 and 250 for my own amusement. none of these cause it to work.

help!!
someone please!

thanks

Did you try just

movies.loadMovie(“2B.swf”,0)?

Same _root theory here. Since your movieclip it loads to isn’t ont he root of the movie you are loading too the _root there might throw it off.

sniffle ;(
tried that … it won’t load w/o the _root in that spot

ideas … anyone ?

sigh

here are links to the files if you’d like to try to d/l and solve the problem :slight_smile:

here’s the main movie’s file
http://www.roughedout.com/newTour.fla

here’s the camera view that i’m using to test
http://www.roughedout.com/2B.fla

Is it just me or does the 2B.fla file not even work seperately?

Do you dynamically load content in?

If so can you make that availablef or download so I can better test?

the 2B.fla works locally. i don’t dynamically load content in but that is what i’m trying to achieve here so i don’t have to load all the movies in seperately. but i don’t know how to dynamically load movies in.

if i could do that then i could just have the avi files seperately and then i could just put the controls in the main movie rather than loading them and i think that would fix this problem.

so if you could hlep me figure out how to do that … i would really appreciate it

thanks beta

lostinbeta … i checked 2B.fla again this morning and it seems to work fine.

whats it doing for you?

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

WOO HOO!!!

THE BANE OF MY EXISTANCE FOR THE PAST WEEK I’VE FIGURED OUT.

turns out as usual i’m a tard and forgot something

when you (lostinbeta) told me to change the "_root"s to nothing or to "_parent"s i did just that … but i forgot to change them on the button instances … i only did it on the main script. so the movie worked by itself fine but when it loaded into newTour.swf it was all jacked up b/c it was trying to apply the variables to a symbol on the _root of newTour that didn’t exist.

thanks very much for all the help!

Oh… WOO HOO!!!

:beam: That rocks! :beam:

Hey :slight_smile:

I have a somewhat similar problem i feel…
I have a main movie, that loads a few other movies in places. . such as a soundtrack, and a few larger images.

Both the soundtrack and larger image .swf movies, have their own preloaders. The idea being, when you click a link on the main movie, it shows the preloader for the movie i’m linking to, then displays the graphic (or plays the sound), once its loaded.

The problem i’m having is that it’s not displaying anything! :slight_smile:
But it is loading it!
OK i’ll explain. I click a button, it moves to a frame that has the load movie command. Nothing appears.
I click back, and then click the same button again. Provided that the movie has actually loaded, the image appears! The loading is taking place in the background … but doesn’t display the file, until i’ve clicked to see it , a second time.
Same with the sound… you click play , and it loads in the background (without the loader appearing). …but nothing plays!@
Once it finishes loading in the background… clicking play again will actually play it!
why aren’t my loaders and movies displaying the first time?

If thats had to understand. … just view my problem
www.followthewhiterabbit2002.com … in the awards section
each thumbnail is the problem…

! i need to get this fixed asap… so your help would be much appreciated!

Andrew

That is a very odd situation.

The problem must lie the the code somewhere. Can you post an example .fla file so I can see. You don’t have to post that exact .fla file, but if you could recreate the situation, then would be helpful.

Hey… no need i think. . :wink:
2 hours later…
the movie clip, when loaded. …
! lol i’m not going to explain it cause i really don’t know what or why or anything
but, in my preloader for the movie clips i’m loading…
i changed any lines containing _root … to _ parent
its got something to do with the _root, not referring to the movie clip i’m loading anymore… but instead referring to the _root of the movie clip its loaded into…
i’m just gonna fix the rest of them now… . but on the site… one of them works properly now. . the one with the face graphic in the middle
phew. . lol :slight_smile:
thanks for your reply tho!

I am glad you got it working :slight_smile: