Windows Update Mass Download - Possible?

So a buddy of mine has all kinds of crap wrong with his PC and I have to fix it. I know he didnt install any service pacs or security updates for XP.

Is there a way to download them to be burned to disc for later install?

He uses AOL with 56K.

It would take days.

Yah… i think i did that once. I belive you can go to the MC website and get the updates from there, and just stick them on a CD. That should work… i think… … :puzzled:

Windows Security Update CD:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

when you hit Windows Update, doesn’t list them all for you? XP usually lets you download all the updates at once, regardless of their nature. Unlike win2k, where security had a higher priorty so they had to be downloaded seperately.

The Windows update, when enabled will only specify the most critical files that need to be downloaded for your system to be protected from unauthorised use. Other files that are also important may not be displayed and they would be update files for your computer such as modem updates.

go with what max said - easiest way - might take like 6 weeks to get the CD…

if you use the Windows Update Catalog to download the individual files, then burn those on the cd - you will be forced to double click each icon and install them each one by one - the trick in your situation is that you would need an old old old non-updated version of service pack 1 - then visit the site, download all the updates, then burn them…in essence taking more time than just downloading them and installing them -

so find a buddy with the windows update disc lol…

minimalistik, I’m not sure where you got that info from but in my experience this is not true – at least with XP. Windows Updates absolutely provides you with the option/choice to download every single update possible for your machine. The scan it goes through is a detection and tailors the update packages just for your machine based on what is already installed.

Here is what Windows XP help files say about Windows Update:

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows. Use Windows Update to download items such as security fixes, critical updates, the latest Help files, drivers, and Internet products. New content is added to the site regularly, so you can always get the most recent updates and fixes to protect your computer and keep it running smoothly.

Windows Update scans your computer and provides you with a tailored selection of updates that apply only to the items on your computer.

Any update that Microsoft considers critical to the operation of your operating system, programs, or hardware is classified as a “critical update” and is automatically selected for you to install. Critical updates are provided to help resolve known issues and protect your computer from known security vulnerabilities.

The last part would make sense for what you are saying if that were the only thing it provided you to download, but it gives you optional downloads as well. Drivers, patches, etc. that aren’t necessarily needed or security risks.

You’re only limited by the 56k connection, so a few hrs vs a few weeks is not worth it to wait for a cd IMO.

Thanks everyone.

I think I am just going to wait for the update CD.

It does not look like there is any easy way to download specific updates to burn to cd and then take them to another machine without literally breaking my balls.

They haven’t made an update CD in a while, I’m waiting for the next one to order mine, I hear you’re only allowed to order one? Anyone can confirm that?

You can try burning a slipstreamed xp cd with the updates included. I did this successfully awhile back with SP1 but have yet to try it with SP1a. Been meaning to make a new one with sp1a and Dx9 if its possible.

Google “slipstream xp”. There used to be a bunch of tutorial sites for this.

slipstreaming is really neat - but it may be beyond the time fester is trying to spend - i agree waiting on the xp update cd can be a pain - it also is only current as of this past february - depending on the machine after you fully update you can have 6-13 updates left - however this beats the 40+ if you don’t.

unflux is on the money.

minimalistik, I’m not sure where you got that info from but in my experience this is not true – at least with XP. Windows Updates absolutely provides you with the option/choice to download every single update possible for your machine. The scan it goes through is a detection and tailors the update packages just for your machine based on what is already installed.

No this is true Bryan. From what i said, I may not have configured some options for the updates but when the updates popup in my taskbar, it only displays the most critical updates which relate to the os and other applications such as my browser. What your saying is true but for that to happen, I go to the actual website and there, of course, the update scans my system and so there is a variety of updates from the most critical to the ones that are optional but not important.

Regarding the Security Update CD, it didnt take that long for me to recieve it. It took about one week and thats pretty fast since I live in Sydney. You are only limited to one copy and it would of course benefit since it has all the updates on the one cd. However, the current one is Feb 2004 so its a bit old. I like the bit how its free :love:

You can go to http://www.autopatcher.com , they’ve made a little software that combine all the updates from microsoft + some tweaks they’ve developped. You only have to have SP1 installed on your computer. It is very useful if you have a new computer and you want it to be safe (?) before connecting it to the internet. It’s about 240 Mb to download

Ubik

Awesome link man!
BOOKMARKED

Unfortunaitly the machine I need to update does not have SP1 on it. So I am still waiting for the CD. But that a great link to have anyway.

Cheers!

ive been looking for this same thing - started to write my own program - but haven’t had enough time! thank you for the link!

ermm - there is a download center peeps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

pick and choose the ones you know you don’t need and burn them for your other machine.

cheers
heathrowe

right but there you have to download each one and run each one individually :wink:

the other allows you to just run them automatically - especially if you are in a corporate environment where you need to hand these out to over 400 machines.

Hey did anyone just get an automatic update just now? Received 3 xp updates and one for BITS 2.0…

You can download SP1a a this adress http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx , just choose network installation to have the entire file that you can burn on a cd