XP Home vs. XP Pro

Hey guys… I’ve been looking into the differences between the two platforms… microsoft just talks about how awesome they both are and that they are equally reliable… so I ask you, is there a difference in performance or is the only difference the lame software bundles on XP Home.

Any and all of your opions and input would be appreciated.

Peace

I don’t think there is much difference in the performance, and the noticeable differences are in the security features that Pro has over Home.

Also Pro has some networking features that home doesn’t. I can’t remember what I was trying to do ut I was helping a friend, and we got an error saying that the home version of XP did does not support XXX, please upgrade to the pro version if you wish to use XX feature… I wish I could remember what we were trying to do.

Cheers!
-Niann

XP home sucks if you want to do networking stuff. Otherwise, it’s aight…

I think Home is like a family version. Pros use Pro even if not networking.

i’ve used both operating systems…

if you’re a normal home user, save yourself some $$$ and go with xp home

if you need the extra networking features you’ll need to get xp pro

they’re pretty much the same OS with just a few differences…i prefer pro but it costs quite a bit more

-teet

and remote desktop abilities along with networking capabilities are included in pro. thats another difference

grandsp5…are you sure about the remote desktop capabilities???

i used the remote desktop thing with a xp home machine connecting to a xp pro machine…not sure if an xp home to an xp home works (never tried) but i know xp home to xp pro does…

geez, that last statement was confusing

-teet

I am pretty sure remots desktop only comes with pro but not 100 percent. Anyways you can always download a remote desktop utility for home.

I dont like xp home - it tends to ‘baby-talk’ you. Even the little help guide has a stupid dog! If you can afford it, go for pro. It’s more secure and does not insult your inteligence.

*Originally posted by teet *
**grandsp5…are you sure about the remote desktop capabilities???

i used the remote desktop thing with a xp home machine connecting to a xp pro machine…not sure if an xp home to an xp home works (never tried) but i know xp home to xp pro does…

geez, that last statement was confusing

-teet **

XP Home can remote into an XP Pro machine but you can’t remote into a XP Home machine. It really sucks.

There are a lot of networking features missing in XP Home. I’d say that if you want to do any networking then stay away from the Home version.

I think everyone has said it already, but PRO has more networking/security options than HOME does … PRO is a must for laptops though.

I think Pro is a better bet not matter what, but if you need to save the cash, I’d just get Home. Hell, I’m running on XP Home and it has worked perfectly fine for me since I got my machine.

(sighs) I wish I had Pro at times though - having remote control over my computer while in IST 210 class with a prof. who couldn’t speak English would have been the best, but … oh well - what can ya do?