A little quote for linux heads

I have a linux buddy who always downs MS. We were reading some mags at Barnes and Noble and I came across this quote.

And speaking of Linux, open-source backers cackle at the mere mention of Windows vulnerabilities. But as I’ve often said, those people are in denial because their beloved Linux is actually attacked more often than Windows, despite the fact that Linux is used on far fewer systems.

Good thing it’s not more popular, huh? According to mi2g, a UK-based security consultancy, Linux servers were attacked 13,654 times in January, compared with just 2005 attacks for Windows-based servers. Governmental servers were particularly hit hard, with 57 percent of all successful attacks on governmental servers occurring on Linux systems. “The swift adoption of Linux last year within the online government and nongovernment server community, coupled with inadequate training and knowledge about how to keep that environment secure when running vulnerable third-party applications, has contributed to a consistently higher proportion of compromised Linux servers,” mi2g Chairman DK Matai said in a statement.

In related news, a set of serious vulnerabilities in the most recent Linux kernel could let attackers gain total access to compromised systems.

News source: Windows & .NET Magazine

This is just total bull$. Linux is the most breached server os? Well maybe that’s because it’s most widely used server os? Compared to WinServerOS breaches down? Maybe speak about percentages here? And the Mac being most secure OS? Maybe because noone’s interested in hacking them?.. C’mon guys, use a little more common sense… :sure:

Linux isn’t very secure at all.
Most users don’t have enough know-how to lock it down correctly.

Well that means user incompetence, not software insecurity. :wink:

*Originally posted by prstudio *
**Most users don’t have enough know-how to lock it down correctly. **
Thats a problem that can be fixed with some simple training. The wrong people are using Linux. Thats not the fault of the OS. If properly guarded, Linux can be the most secure system… but then again, so could Windows if you know what you’re doing… it all comes down to the competency of the user…

PR…This is exactly what I was saying to my friend. If linux was as big as lets say MS (or in the limelight as much). Then you would here about this stuff more. But since it is not people think because it flies below radar it does not happen. I worked for our county for a minute and our linux servers to hit a bunch more than our windows servers were.

Kinda pisses ya off to get a scratch on that Linux armor. Yes people linux is not perfect.

DDD, getting hit and going down are two different things. Linux servers may get hit a lot but unlike Windose they don’t go down easily, right? :wink:

well I am definately not the server guru, but ours were down alot (the linux). I was more in charge of the windows servers since I was doing a bunch of web stuff on them. I believe if it ever gets to the point where Linux is as widespread and concentrated in its usage as windows servers are, you will here about it more.

And in the article I read these were servers run by trained pros, not some kids running it out of their bedrooms. Also ours were monitored by some contractors who were brought in because they were pros. But they still went down. My point is they are not bulletproof and actually have more weakness than some think.

Umm no, they can go down very easily lol.

Statistically speaking, linux cannot be compared to MS due to the fact that it isn’t even as wide spread.

You take an open source, easily hacked OS and replace every MS driven box and see how quickly the damage starts racking up.

The numbers would be astronomical.
Linux has some awesome features, but those features kill it from a security standpoint.

In a comparison on security flaws, even a minor review shows that the commands built into Linux offer up enough ammo to bring itself down as compared to the same tactics studied in Windows.

Linux is not “more secure” nor is it “better.”

*Originally posted by prstudio *
commands built into Linux offer up enough ammo to bring itself down as compared to the same tactics studied in Windows.

I agree with you on that. Linux and all the other *nix os’s come with raw sockets which give them the biggest vulnerability as well as power.

*Originally posted by Vash *
**Thats a problem that can be fixed with some simple training. The wrong people are using Linux. Thats not the fault of the OS. If properly guarded, Linux can be the most secure system… but then again, so could Windows if you know what you’re doing… it all comes down to the competency of the user… **

Thats about it there. You can make about any system secure as long as you, the user/administrator knows how to. A lot of Windows attacks, like those you hear about in the news etc, are exploits of features (which can be easily disabled) and the taking advantage of ignorant users. Not to mention M$ is a prime target for hackers. As long as you know how to secure the system you’re dealing with, then you can have a secure system… “all comes down to the competency of the user” :wink:

as other people have said, this is total bull$hit.
Linux is also more popular as a server OS, and Windows is virtually useless from a hackers’ POV… as for linux… Sendmail is all I’m going to say.

Also, there are easy ways to hack into M$ servers unless they’re secured down very well. You don’t get any l33tness from hacking a server with multiple weaknesses.

Also, many of the weaknesses you speak of in Linux are not in the core OS. They are in the servers like Apache and FTP servers.

Still, the key thing is to upgrade & patch like mad whatever you do… and a stupid admin is worse than running either OS.

mi2g aren’t exactly a reputable company… there was a great link posted on Slashdot about this, but I can’t find it know.

*Originally posted by senocular *
**One of Linux’s main problem is usability. Its a wonderful OS for programmers, but Joe’s mother won’t know what to do with the thing. That of course is changing and things are getting better almost everyday. There have been some recent initiatives to make Linux more suitable for the desktop and a lot of progress is being made… Still, no matter how suitable it is for the desktop, you still get to Linux’s other main problem, application base. Most office apps are pretty much well covered, but when you dip into Adobe and Macromedia, your really only left with Windows and Macs. I’d probably be using Linux now if all the applications I use ran natively on it. Sadly, that just isnt the case, and due to the multitude of Linux distributions out there, big companies are often weary of creating Linux-based products not only because of a small user-base, but because of the potential support nightmare that could result from it “well it works right on debian kernal so and so but distro x doesnt bla bla bla…”

But you can probably contribute Windows success primarily to OEM agreements in the early 90’s which got the OS out there and well known to most people who got personal computers. Then, with the server frenzy, people stuck to OS’s they’ve known. Why learn *nux if you already know how to use Windows? The fact that the source is closed can come to further comfort since you know hackers cant scan the code for vulnerabilities (though we’ve all seen that didnt stop anyone ;)). **

Yeah… I agree with that totally…

The MX suite works pretty well under wine(mot MX04) though.
I think the usability is still an issue… but this might well change with big companies like Sun, Redhat and SuSE, whose only objective is to get Linux on the desktop.

DDD: Well, it all depends how technical you want to be :wink:

If you want to get the maximum stability and minimum footprint, I’d go with Linux From Scratch(http://linuxfromscratch.org) & Beyond Linux From Scratch.

If you just want a quick and easy way, just go with a distro like Mandrake,
Fedora Core,[URL=http://suse.com]SuSE , [URL=http://debian.org]Debian or [URL=http://gentoo.org]Gentoo

I want to learn some C/C++ and then help out with Wine. I think if we can get Wine working properly with more apps, then Linux will become much more popular overnight =)

Then we can start pestering companies like MM and Adobe for native versions :wink: