And the difference is

I pasted this code in my movie per the instructions from the preloader tutorial by kirupa. \r\rif (_framesloaded>=_totalframes) {\r&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp gotoAndPlay (2);\r} else {\r&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp gotoAndPlay (1);\r}\r\rIt seemed to work once just fine.\rAnd then it wreaked destruction with the browser (IE 6, Windows XP and Flash Player6). So I got out my handy dandy Flash 5 Action Script book. The book recomended this for my preloader\r\rif (_framesloaded>=_totalframes) \r{\r&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp _root.mainMovie.gotoAndPlay (2);\r}\r\rAnd my question is…Whats the difference? Is the tutorial directed more towards Flash 4 maybe?&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

exactly wut destruction are you talking about?? I recommend not using the _frameloaded thing bcuz Upu’s tutorial is much better.\r\rpub40.ezboard.com/fkirupa…ID=9.topic

Cool, I’ll take that into account, Ill have to dig into it some more. To answer your question, I believe that there may be a conflict with Flash Player 6. I recieved the following error message when using kirupas tut. \r\r" A script in this movie is causing Macromedia Flash Player 6 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?" Yes or No\r\rIf you click yes, it aborts the preloader code and go’s directly to frame 2. I fixed the problem from this…\r\rif (_framesloaded>=_totalframes) {\r gotoAndPlay (2);\r} else {\r gotoAndPlay (1);\r}\r\rTo this…\r\rif (_framesloaded>=_totalframes) \r{\r _root.mainMovie.gotoAndPlay (2);\r}\r\rI was just wondering what the difference was between the two.\rThanks\r

pub40.ezboard.com/fkirupa…ID=9.topic

Ok…That is a very cool pre-loader. I even downloaded the fla. But when I tested the movie (inside of Flash" I got the same script error.\r\r" A script in this movie is causing Macromedia Flash Player 6 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?" Yes or No\r\r\rAnd the difference is?

lol sorry Z doens’t seem we answered your question. To tell you the truth, I’m not really sure. I’ve never had that experience using a preloader. I think that it has to do with the fact that from FRAME 1 you are telling Flash to go to Frame 1. I think Flash might get confused. Thats why Upu’s tutorial had a loop\r\rgotoAndPlay (1);\r\rin frame two. The allows flash to continue on but then return to frame 1, and then check the preloader again (loop).\r\rDon’t quote me cuz I don’t really know all the much, but this seems to be the most logical explaination i can think of.

that’s not a conflict with Flash Player, it just means that you’re executing too many calculations in one single frame. There must be something wrong, like an infinite loop somewhere… Use Upu’s tute.\rpom 0]

I see your point Jubba, Im not sure why it won’t work. But the .fla I downloaded from upu wouldn’t work. I didn’t use it for my own movie. I just ran it on it’s own, without any modification whatsoever. It should work when you test it using the “Show Streaming” option. I smell a bug or somthing with Flash Player 6. \r\rNo biggie…It is what it is.

i downloaded the fla and it worked fine for me. and I have flash player 6. maybe something with your computer? are you running a lot of programs?

No…Just the browser, AOL IM, Flash 5. Its a pretty fast box. 1.6Ghz, 512RAM. Im running Windows XP. I loaded the tut from upu on my Windows 98 Laptop, and it worked fine. Go figure. It’s not a pressing issue, I was just curious.

hmm… what exactly is the processor you are using? Maybe that will help.

Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz…Upu , I ran your tut just in the swf, and the same error message popped. This is kind of weird.\rBut like I said earlier. It’s no big deal for me at this point.\r:)

hmmm… you are saying that you downloaded my fla, opened it on your Flash program, did a test and it gave you that message?\r\rI will try to download my own file, and test it and see if It does that.

Here it is. I took a print screen.\rwww.ptwood.com/error.jpg

OK… I just tested that FLA downloaded from my site, and I had no error.\r\rI really don’t know what to tell you… I’d say reinstal Flash if I were sure that was the problem… I really don’t know. The script is secure, and error free.

upu…Im sure your script is solid, like I said earlier. It worked on my other box. Maybe its a Winblows XP thing, some kind of glitch, who knows. Anyway…Thanks for checking.

Nope. I’m using Window’s XP… and I tried it on a Mac as well. The OS is not the problem… \r\rStill thinking about this though… if I can come up with any explination I will… right now I’m stumped.

Please send me your file, with the errror, at [email protected]\r\rI want to see if perhaps something in your system is corupting the file as it is being opened.

File sent.

The reason why this preloader doesn’t work is because the frame is jumping to itself, so there is no time delay while passing to another frame.\r\rThis causes the “slowing down your computer” loop effect, because Flash is trying to execute the script repetitively at infinte speed. I have repeatedly triggered the warning message when executing loops that did not cycle through at least one frame backwards or forwards.\r\rTo fix this preloader, all you’d have to do is move everything forward one frame, so the script is in frame 2 and jumps to frame 1 if everything isn’t loaded. Although I’m not sure why, it seems to work better if you give it even more space, like move everything to frame 10. Then, Flash can use its resources to load the movie rather than just having to constantly deal with the loop command. Not sure about this part…\r\rGood luck…\r\rAndrew