Animating a drop down menu w/ mc's and buttons

Hi,

I’m trying to make a animated menu. the menu consists of buttons and movie clips. when a cursor hovers the button the actionscripting targets a movie clip and plays the “slidedown” frames animation revealing the real menu. when hovering off the button, and lets say moving to another button that consist of another menu, i have the actionscripting target the “slideup” frames animating the movie clip menu back upwards and hiding it.

I am a complete novice to actionscripting so i made a layer on my timeline just for actions and used the basic:

this.MainNews.onRollOver = function() {
this.MenuNews.gotoAndPlay("slidedown");
};
this.MainNews.onRollOut = function() {
this.MenuNews.gotoAndPlay("slideup");
};

that didn’t work. then i tried putting the actionscripting on the button itself:

on (rollOver) {
this.MenuNews.gotoAndPlay("slidedown");
}
on (rollOut) {
this.MenuNews.gotoAndPlay ("slideup");
}

that worked. it animates down and up. the problem i’m having though, is that when i tried to test the movie clip menu, i’m hovering off the button and it animates up, and i can’t use the menu.

my question is, is there a way that i can have the button trigger the mc menu on rollover and allow me to use the menu, then when i move onto another button or roll onto other parts of my header the menu for the button i was just on rolls back up?

I’m not sure whether i’m on the right road with this one, and i’m trying the best i can to use trial and error before asking for someones help, but i’ve been tackling this for awhile now.

I also apologize if i’m not clear on what i’m asking. I have no previous knowledge of actionscripting and i’m currently learning so all the terminology is still unclear to me.

thank you to whoever can help with this problem, its very much appreciated.

Links to my .fla and working .swf:
http://fileplanet.us/files/3/BAFM%20Header_5.fla
http://fileplanet.us/files/3/BAFM%20Header_5.swf

Note: the only button im working with now is news. after one works, i was planning on putting the same code for the others.