Anybody good with routers?

28, slow down there buddy

answer those questions i asked earlier…im about to leave work to work out and stuff…

answering those questions will help bro…and don’t worry about the quality im a network technician among other things in the “dontgetpaidenough” computer field…

While the bios update may work, it doesn’t sound like its the solution…being that it works on another computer already…also if you are unfamiliar with this sort of thing its not good to try things out…so take a breather and hopefully we can get on this tonight

sound good?

lol, sounds like your tryin to help me not commit suicide. Ok so here’s to answer your questions

*Originally posted by prstudio *
**Are you able to view other websites though?

Also with this router setup, does it seem to work better the fewer computers that are on? Kind of like a bandwidth issue?

Do you have separate IPs for each computer or are you sharing one?

And have you tried reinstalling or looking at the properties of the router…

Just a few questions…

Also, how many TVs do you have hooked up to this?

I experienced a similar problem, and it was because of signal strength…

If you could give just a few more specifics…I’ll be willing to take a crack at it. **

Yeah, I can view every website except the one I need.

The router works a little slower with more machines but that’s to be expected, nothin else is wrong happens.

I’m pretty sure we’re sharing IPs.

Haven’t tried reinstalling the router…

No TV’s hooked up to it…

It seems that the connection just goes on and off because I have to refresh a lot of websites because I can’t access them. I also lose connection AIM and other things like that frequently.

I appreciate your help, and if I come accross sort of A-hole-ishly I’m sorry… just gettin annoyed.

*Originally posted by xxviii *
**lol, sounds like your tryin to help me not commit suicide. Ok so here’s to answer your questions

Yeah, I can view every website except the one I need.

The router works a little slower with more machines but that’s to be expected, nothin else is wrong happens.

I’m pretty sure we’re sharing IPs.

Haven’t tried reinstalling the router…

No TV’s hooked up to it…

It seems that the connection just goes on and off because I have to refresh a lot of websites because I can’t access them. I also lose connection AIM and other things like that frequently.

I appreciate your help, and if I come accross sort of A-hole-ishly I’m sorry… just gettin annoyed. **

First off, unless you are running like 64 computers off that router, it shouldn’t slow down. I’ve ran a 20 person network using my main router as a DHCP server and other switches and hubs with no slow down @ all.

Maybe if I get bored enough I’ll do a topology of a basic network structure for you. Actually, I most likely will. I’ll be home in a bit.

Well the other computer is a work computer that is constantly downloading and uploading stuff and everything… so I’m sure that would change something since the router just splits one connection in two…

My most important help is hardforums.com They are as good at this stuff as people here are at flash.

2nd. Mine does what yours is doing sometimes. It’ll get mad at me and make me refresh 4-5 times to load a page. What you need to do is turn off the base computer (computer plugged into the #1 port of router) then restart it. Then open IE on it. Then restart comp #2 and it should work.

3rd. I don’t know how this works, but I used to see a banner on a site i went to. It would actually advertise locally (some of the banners would have local companies and have the name of the city i lived in). this might’ve just been a coincidence, but now that my router/firewall is on, it shows up as a page can’t be displayed. I THINK it has something to do with the thing trying to find out something about you so it can use something. But i doubt it since i can get onto that site w/ my firewall/router up.

I’m gonna try that restart thinger…
thanks for the tip

28, on my network at 1 point in time, I had 20 gamers over here using Internet, AIM, Kazaa, and connecting to outside gaming servers.

I regularly have friends leeching my FTP (276 gigs), I have my own web servers and run my network in a domain configuration and also run a shoutcast server. There is no way in the world that your pushing more bandwidth than me.

As for NaliWarCows 3rd problem : You can, I repeat can not figure out where somebody lives just by an IP address. You either were browsing a local site (ie your local TV or Newspaper) or it was just coincidence. I am very up on what a browser can and can not see and 1 thing it cannot see is where you live.

Ok digital. It’s not a local site, it’s a world-wide site. But I know the advertisement said birmingham. It freaked me out like crazy and i watched it for like 5 min. I really have no idea, it just freaked me out, but I’ll take your word that it was a coincidence :).

Nali… didn’t work :?

dPimp, I didn’t say that I’m pushing more bandwidth than you… I was just saying it’s slower because more than one computer are using the same internet connection that would normally be supplied to one computer…

Ok, try this. Get on base computer and do the http://xxx.xx.x.x # that is for the router. This should get you into the router properties. Then go to advanced. Then click on DMZ/ demilitarized zone. Then enter the local ip (i think that’s what it’s called) of the computer that’s messed up. That should make it so the firewall doesn’t work and that computer can access anything without any trouble.

Ok, try this. Get on base computer and do the http://xxx.xx.x.x # that is for the router.

no clue what your talkin about there man…

and I don’t think it’s a firewall problem because this has never happened before and it’s on 2 different routers and its messing up my AIM and stuff too…

but I might as well give it a shot, so explain that ip thing please

rofl dude its a cable modem…the cable internet piggy-backs on the signal, if the signal is split to 4 tvs in the house plus the cable modem without a powered splitter then there is hardly anything hitting the modem much less share that with 3 other computers…

ok that addresses that one

they can find where you live off of just an IP…geographical trace routes are an amazing thing

if you want to have a bragging contest go ahead, i do this for a living…

28 listen to whoever you want, as long as it gets fixed…

28 do you by chance know the ip address to the router? or the ip they are assigning you?

pr your back yay…
So yeah… ready to help me?

sure man

my ip address is… well should i post it here? or is that a hazard thinger? oh what the hell its 192.168.1.102

ok thats cool, people cant do anything with that

the computers connected to the router hit that ip, then the main computer has a different one

do you use aol instant messenger?

yeah i do… but it bugs like crazy cuz of my crappy router or whatever but we can give it a shot, whats your sn?

send you a pm

alright… happily awaiting :beam:

Be careful setting up a DMZ, that means unrestricted traffic can flow both ways. Sometimes thats not a good idea. Can you ping the site you are trying to reach?

Cheers!
-Niann