Anybody good with routers?

Hey guys, having a minorly huge crisis.

I bought a website (www.syntheticwhat.net) a few days ago. The thing is that I can’t access it on my computer. I either get an action cancelled or a regular old non-accessable site thing. This is bad. Well I have cable internet going throughout my house. Upstairs on my moms computer it works. But downstairs we have a seperate cable account doo-hicky. The thing is I can’t access the site on my computer or my step-dad’s work computer, and we’re both hooked up to the same router. It also screws up my instant messenger programs, half the time I don’t even recieve messages and every once and a while it kicks us off.

I have no idea why this happening but it’s really, really annoying.

If anyone has any idea what to do please for the love of Josh. Help me.

The only time my router gets mad at sites, is when they try to find information from my computer to see where I live or stuff like that. Plus it kills pop-ups, so if the site uses pop-ups, that might be a problem. Other than that, sorry I can’t help you.

Nope… nothin like that on the site…

The world hates me

anybody know a good home networking or something relevant to my problem site or forum?

thank ya kindlay

*Originally posted by NaliWarCow *
**The only time my router gets mad at sites, is when they try to find information from my computer to see where I live or stuff like that. Plus it kills pop-ups, so if the site uses pop-ups, that might be a problem. Other than that, sorry I can’t help you. **

First off internet security won’t allow sites to see stuff like that.

Second off, it sounds like your router. You might want to try a bios flash. What router are you using?

I’m using a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router

ahhh wireless…its just so yummy! sorry just had to let that out. hehe.

I don’t have wireless though… so it’s icky

shesh! you know nothing. its so yummy! i can roam the house and print from anywhere. its so good. like right now i am in the other room watching tv typing to you and about to send the msg. its sweet. try it. its not icky once you get the hang of it.

Hey mdipi, I’m getting wireless internet soon, with a 50Mbit wireless router. The big question I have is: is it as fast as cable ?

no, i dont even have wireless internet, im on a desktop. the wireless-ness if for my stepdads comp. I have my own computer and a tv in my room, so i can do the same thing as you for half the price :stuck_out_tongue:

well see, i have an office downstairs (share it with my dad) so i just keep my comp down tehre and crap. and i dont want a tv in my room cause my room is for sleeping. but vote. it all depends on where you are, some times its a bit slower, but a lot of the time i find it just as fast.

Are you able to view other websites though?

Also with this router setup, does it seem to work better the fewer computers that are on? Kind of like a bandwidth issue?

Do you have separate IPs for each computer or are you sharing one?

And have you tried reinstalling or looking at the properties of the router…

Just a few questions…

Also, how many TVs do you have hooked up to this?

I experienced a similar problem, and it was because of signal strength…

If you could give just a few more specifics…I’ll be willing to take a crack at it.

voets, as long as you’re in the signal’s area, you’ll be fine. Cable won’t ever go over 5 mbit, and your wireless connection will usually be about 20 mbit. Only things that will be slower are like printing and stuff like that. But it’ll still be fast enough that you won’t notice that much of a difference unless you decide to print 300,000 pictures all in full color.

It’s not wireless or anything.
Ok everyone, I moved the computer up to the router that “works”
It still works on the other computer but now mine is also set up to it and it doesn’t work now. This get’s me thinking. WHAT THE HELL?
Is it an internet explorer thing or what the hell is going on… I’m starting to get frustrated beyond all belief

yeah the thing that is a bit slower is the transfer time on printing like nali said. other than that i love it. and that is hardly noticable, you just wait a bit longer. and when i am accross the house you dont notice a wait because you have to walk there anyway. if you get a chance and a few bucks i would try it, esp. if you have a notebook.

Ok, I tried switchin the cables from my moms connection to mine. So I did that and now www.syntheticwhat.net doesn’t work on either computer.
WHAT THE EXPLETIVE?
I seriously have no idea what to do but it is really really annoying…

Try a bios update on it. Also, you do know that when you buy products that companies do provide customer support. Give linksys a hollah.

I gave linksys a lot of holla’s. They don’t holla back young’n.
So what exactly is a bios update?