Apple Macbook Air... Wtf?

Here’s the post from notebookreview.com: TechnologyGuide - TechTarget

Hah, I figured Nokrev would be on this as soon as possible. Anyway, essentially it’s a stripped down version of the macbook… Kinda pointless in my opinion.

The Apple MacBook Air has the following specs:[LIST]
[]13.3" Widescreen LED Backlit (1280 x 800)
[
]Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6GHz and 1.5GHz (4MB L2 cache, 800MHz frontside bus)
[]1.8" 80GB HD (same type in iPod) or 64GB SSD option
[
]Multi-touch trackpad
[]2GB RAM (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
[
]Intel X3100 graphics
[]Magnetic latch
[
]1 USB 2.0 port, Micro-DVI, Audio out (analog)
[]802.11n wireless
[
]Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
[]iSight camera built-in
[
]37 watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
[]No optical drive built-in, but SuperDrive accessory available for $99
[
]Dimensions: 12.8" wide, 8.94" deep, and 0.16" to 0.76" thin
[]Weight: 3.0 lbs (1.36 kg)
[
]$1,799 price point[/LIST]
Here’s my beef with it:

1. It costs almost as much as a base MBP, and way over a standard Macbook…Why would anyone pay that much for something that can fit in a manila envelope lol?
  2. It still weighs 3 pounds even for being that thing…I expected that to weigh much less
  3. No Removable battery + iPod Harddrive = Fail Period
  4. 1 USB port… also = fail
  5. I’m really beginning to hate the design Apple has going with its notebooks. Rounded Corners, nah, no thanks.
  6. No upgradable Parts by user…everything’s soldered in!
  7. 4800 RPM harddrive! What the heck, that’s ancient!

Essentially, I don’t think there’s a point to this device as all it does is be thing…and why do I care whether my notebook is either .16" or 1.33"? It’s not like I’m going to be carrying my notebook around in my binder anytime soon.

Here’s some cool things I thought about it:

1. Multi-touch thingy on the touchpad… kind of a gimmick, but still cool
  2. The fact that a notebook can be this thin! Amazing, but pointless…to me this really serves only as a proof of concept
  3. Nice to have modern (core 2 duo) CPUs, 2 gigs of RAM, and even a X3100 GPU. That’s pretty amazing how that fits
  4. Back-lit keyboard, never really needed one, but still cool

So, I don’t see how this can really compete in the “ultra” portable laptop category when it’s price is that high compared to a Asus EEE, or even a Dell M1330! I’ll stick with my Asus F8, U6, U3 series, and my (imaginary) M1330.