Apple: New Chips, Computers; 64bit OS still waiting

Good article on Forbes. Mentions a few things about the progression of IBM’s 64 bit PPC chip known as Apples G5.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs has already gone on the record saying that the G5 computer will contain PowerPC chips that run at 3 GHz by the summer of 2004…

Faster chips will also migrate to the Powerbook notebook line. There’s a pretty good chance that a Powerbook G5 notebook will appear no later than the summer of 2004.

For its part, Apple has yet to make any real noise about a 64-bit operating system for the G5. “It’s two years away at least,” Glaskowsky says.

Read more here:

I got a G4 1.8 now. Pritty awesome.

Was following the story. But i didn’t expect it later then feb. Sad to here it going to be late.

hmm, isnt Panther a 64bit OS? Oh well. And i doubt a G5 Powerbook is on its way, they are having cooling problems with the G4 never mind a G5 from what the guy at the appl store told me. He said if anything look for a dual G4 first. But maybe i am wrong…

you should know its not :sure: we discussed this in another thread in which you participated :slight_smile:

Really? Shesh where was i? lol, well thats what i was hearing pre-panther so…

Really makes me want to switch to Mac…