Beta

Not ‘Lostin’, but ‘version of my site’.

I’ve got the skeleton of my new site working, and any opinions on it from you guys would be much appreciated.

It’s no special URL, I’ve just replaced the old one. So www.nowingsnohalo.co.uk will work fine. I’m figuring no-one goes there often enough to worry about not having a fully working copy up. :slight_smile:

So yeah, half the links won’t work and it’s kinda buggy. But before I tell the masses… :slight_smile:

I like the layout, but I can’t read any of the text on my 19" monitor set at 1600x1200 resolution…

I don’t know how many over 40 desingers with high res monitors are in your target demographic, but that is my observation…

Rev

Point. :slight_smile:

I succumbed to the lure of pixel fonts I’m afraid… :sure:

The Dark side is strong.

Rev

I know, I know. :slight_smile:

But they’re so pretty and lovely and I just couldn’t refuse them… “Use me! Use me!” they called, and it would be churlish to say no…

I’m think I need some sound in there. A Star Wars-y type beep on a menu button click, that kind of thing. Good idea? Or troll-like in stupidity? Does it bug people? Argh… :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have my speakers on by default. I’ve had way too many sites loudly announce their arrival…

but again, I’m old, crotchety, and opinionated…

Rev

And more often than not, bang on the money. :slight_smile:

I’ll forget pingy fx for the moment. Might be an idea to get the whole thing working before I start tinkering. :wink:

I think you’ve posted the layour somewhere before?
Anywho, I must say, it is brilliant, and the color scheme is great! :slight_smile:

The only thing it lacks is some transitions, as it took me a while to figure out the site’s a flash movie, i thought it was html, lol

Correct, I did post the idea a while back (though I’ve only just acted upon it) and you won’t find a single transition on there. :beam:

I was thinking of adding preloaders to each little module, but they’re mostly so ickle it hardly seems worth it. Toyed with the idea of transitions… But I didn’t want it to appear overly in-your-face and flashy. Plus I couldn’t actually think of any.

That was the major stumbling block. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is actually a gap in each movie for a transition / preloader if I want to put one in (or any bright spark has an idea? :wink: )…

lol, hey, a simple fade-in/fade-out would be much better than nothing, and would go pretty well with the rather minimalistic look :bounce:

Now why didn’t I think of that? :sure:

lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks great and the layout is great :slight_smile:

I was wondering why it was Flash when the layout could of been more easily done via HTML.

Then my dumbarse realized the pixel fonts are why :hangover:

Very nice Kit, I LOVE IT! I too find the pixel font a bit too small for my liking (but I can still read it), but I think it looks good none-the-less.

The problem with pixelfont is that it’s meant to be small; anything bigger would be (IMO) pretty unattractive.

Pixelfonts are great though. They stray from the nominal Verdana or Arial font we see everywhere. Has its own originality, if you will.

Thing was, I did try doing the layout in HTML, because that seemed the logical thing to do. But it all got so complicated with tables, then layers and there were about a million graphics involved too… Major headache.

So I stuck all the contect into Flash movies and just the header, footer and border in HTML. Plus of course, I can get my pixel font in there. :beam:

It’s going to use Flash more eventually though. Right now I’m just re-creating everything that’s currently there (plus a few more odds and sods). But I want a shoutbox on there, and some games… Email form in Flash would be cool too. You know the kind of thing. :slight_smile:

http://www.nowingsnohalo.co.uk/downloads/resume_pdf.doc & http://www.nowingsnohalo.co.uk/downloads/resume_word.doc = 404 , not good for potential customer… same for the “live urls”, i think i’d get the resume section working first…

and hilite the current section and disable it’s button!
preloaders not needed with cable connection.

about the footer: can requierements only be recommended…?

nice site, but lately i prefer livelier colors, to much black’n’white,
nice layout.