Bill Gates Donates $3 Billion to Charity

It’s all good :slight_smile:

1. A school/library that did not have a computer previously now has it due to the generosity of a few organizations including the Gates Foundation. The computers were heavily subsidized by Dell. Believe it or not, Dell donated the hardware, MS donated the software, and the Gates foundation helped provide the training for the people to help run it. I am not sure how a company that sells something for zero economic profit would make a lot of money or line these mysterious pockets

Well…when this person, who used a computer in a library, goes out and gets him/herself a job and buys themself a new computer of there very own. Chances are they are going to buy M$ because that is what they know. So he’s not getting cash for it now, but he’s planting seeds to ensure he gets it later.

But I don’t know what all the hubbub about this $3 billion donation to his own endowment is all about. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation was worth $20+ billion before this…so the foundation has been planting seeds as stated above for quite some time.

and regarding that whole “eat or be eaten/business is business” thing…there are plenty of businesses in the world that are successful without having to resort to cheap predatory tactics such as M$ does. Yes the business world is cruel and unforgiving. but that is no excuse for a business owner to be unethical in there practices and dealings.

This really is great to see.

I like Bill Gates - just dont like Windows.

Can you name one tech company that is like that? :stuck_out_tongue:

Umm…all flavors of Linux from Gentoo to Debian to SuSe to even Redhat

And apple as far as I know.

If you have a decent product with a good business ethic behind it there is no reason or need to use cheap tactics to get ahead.

Those aren’t even companies. The number of people using them is extremely low. They still have a ways to go before any of the companies that make Linux are successful. The technology is good though.

Apple has a monopoly on their hardware. You can’t use their software on other non-Apple hardware. I think a few companies tried that - the Apple clones - and they were taken down by the courts - I think. Either way, they are no more :stuck_out_tongue:

Those aren’t even companies. The number of people using them is extremely low. They still have a ways to go before any of the companies that make Linux are successful. The technology is good though.

You contradicted yourself :stuck_out_tongue:

but anyway, what constitutes a company?

Redhat Linux is a very lucrative and profitable company that puts out a very good product. Its the M$ of the linux world.

All I was trying to say was, business is business…is not, and should not, be the normal modus operundi…but it unfortunatly is. The big companies are big because of there dirty tactics. Do whatever it takes to get ahead has become an acceptable business practice. I think this is why alot of people have beef with M$ and Bill Gates.

I should have clarified. I forgot to mention Red Hat and even SuSE as a company in the second sentence where I said that they have yet to be as successful as some of their competitors such as IBM or Sun :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course. All companies will do whatever it takes to ensure that they are the ones at the top. Once you get to the top such as an Intel or MS, you will try to defend your territory.

I think the difference is that I don’t see anything wrong with that. I have no problem with Apple making their hardware and software only operate on their systems. If I were them, I would to the same thing. I have no problem with IBM strongly urging companies they consult to use only their systems even if cheaper systems exist. If (alphabetically) Apple/IBM/Intel/MS/Sun/etc. did not do what many consider as predatory practices, another company would come right in and pull the rug under them and take their business away.

Capitalism will always be like that, and part of that quick reflex mentality is what makes it thrive and innovate newer better things.

Hehe this might be mean but I just found it on bash.org:

<gofer-chan> What’s the difference between Bill Gate’s wife and a computer?
<gofer-chan> A computer doesn’t mind taking a 3 1/2 floppy.

I would do the same thing if I had 1.1 billion shares in microsoft ;).

:stuck_out_tongue: - Kirupa i find this a bit off putting. It seems to take away the seriousness of what you are posting and turns it into a bit of a joke.

Am i being picky?

Which post :stuck_out_tongue: At least half of the posts in this thread here are off-topic hehe.

I guess i just have a problem with that smiley. It should die.