BIT 101 contest

Hey people,
In case you’re interested, there’s a contest at www.bit-101.com/contest
You have to produce something cool with less than 25 lines of AS (no drawing, nothing). You can check the site too, some crazy effects there.

pom :asian:

Hey,

that’s pretty <b> sweeet </b> I didn’t know they posted competitions like that. I was giving it a read through and it said mx actionscripting… I’m wondering if I could get away with 5 actionscripting… (mx doesn’t really suit my tastes).

Thanks for posting that,

Uth

Hey,

I just realized that the actual drawing functions with actionscript are only in mx aren’t they? Darn it… I might have to start playing with mx a little bit…

Uth

Well, you can try to make an 100% code-based animation with Flash 5, but I’m not sure you’re gonna much happening on your scene :stuck_out_tongue:

Go for MX, man.

OK, I’ve done that for the contest. 15 lines of code:
http://membres.lycos.fr/museebranly/flash/tryBit5.html
What do you think? Is it cool or not? I can’t tell… Please be frank, and if you have ideas to make this better, you’re more than welcome.

pom :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Pom,
That looks really nice! I am guessing adding colors would make the code be longer than 15 lines? Anyway, I think you have a sure-fire animation that is impressive.

EDIT: Another cool thing; if you want an 1980s like wireframe look, set the quality on the movie to LOW.

Cheers!
Kirupa :asian:

hmm… adding color would be nice, yes. Maybe I should do something like Karen’s footer, like a gradient. I’ll try that =) Thanks! And don’t worry about the lines of code, the max is 25.

Check that: http://membres.lycos.fr/museebranly/flash/contest/
I put color and everything.

Really amazing Pom! I’m fairly certain you are a full-fledged candidate to win the award :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Kirupa :asian:

Thanks :slight_smile: Actually, I checked last month’s swf, and some of them are really mind blowing (but got no votes)…

yeah, pom, that’s really impressive. you really know how to use mx’s drawing API. are you just recreating those lines, or are you actually controlling them. i’m not really a big fan of mx’s actionscript, but now that i can see what it can do, i might give it a shot. time to open up mx that’s been collecting dust for quite some time now.

power to the french!

Hey thanks Thor. I’m honored you like it :stuck_out_tongue: No, I’m serious.

And yes, I recreate the lines, thanks to a function called curveTo. I still don’t understand how it works exactly (thanks to Macromedia’s dictionary), so I was pretty much shooting in the dark, and got to that without really expecting it :slight_smile:

It kinda kills the myth, hue?

It’s very stimulating!

body=new Array();
bord=new Array();
p=0;
mc = _root.createEmptyMovieClip("rond", k++);
mc.lineStyle(30, 0xffffff, 100);
mc.lineTo(.15,.45);
mc2 = _root.createEmptyMovieClip("contour", k++);
mc2.lineStyle(40, 0x000000, 100);
mc2.lineTo(.15,.45);
for (z=0;z < 5;z++)	for(i=-2;i < 3;i++)	for (j=-2; j < 3;j++){
	bord[p]=contour.duplicateMovieClip("contour"+k,k);
	body[p]=rond.duplicateMovieClip("rond"+(k++),(k+1000),{scale:200/(20*z+200)});
	body[p].j=j;
	body[p].i=i;
	body[p++].onEnterFrame=function(){
		this._x=(200-_root._xmouse+50*this.i)*this.scale+_root._xmouse;
		this._y=(200-_root._ymouse+50*this.j)*this.scale+_root._ymouse;
		this._xscale=this._yscale=this.scale*100;}}
_root.onEnterFrame=function(){
	for (var f in bord){
		bord[f]._x=body[f]._x;
		bord[f]._y=body[f]._y;
		bord[f]._xscale=bord[f]._yscale=body[f]._xscale;}}
rond._visible=false;
contour._visible=false;

25 lines of code sharp. It’s part of my discovery of 3D/perspective in Flash. I’d be glad to hear if you have ideas to improve either the code or the animation.