Complex line animation

greetings all,

my problem is this: I want to animate a line like it was being written on the computer screen with pen and ink. I have the final image that I want to produce, I just don’t know how to make an animation form it.

what I’ve tried so far is creating a mask tween to slowly expose parts of the final image until it’s all shown, but this process is pretty ugly to me. I’ve also tried shape tweening it, but all I can get out of this method is a bad morphing effect. the final image is complex, and I imported it from illustrator, so creating it totally in flash is pretty much out of the question.

anyone know a tutorial on this kind of thing? or can anyone at least point me in the right direction? thanks.

sure thing… use your graphic on the screen (the final one, as a guide). Now, what you want to do is to draw a path so you can do a motion guide. You will guide a graphic of a pencil through a path that has been drawn with the pencil tool (or tool of your choice) using your final graphic to trace the approximate path of your final design.

Thanks for the quick response Iammontoya.

I should have been more clear with my first post. I actually want the pencil/pen to be hidden. I want the form to become visible gradually as if it were being drawn (and I mean like with a calligraphic pen). With paths it seems like you can only move objects along them, not actually fill them in.

Let me know if I’m missing something. =)