Deno 1.0 Released

Deno (http://deno.land) just just reached version 1.0!

Deno is a Node-like runtime (No-De… De-No…) built from the ground up (in Rust) by the same person that brought you Node that has built-in support for running TypeScript natively.

It features (from the website):

• Secure by default. No file, network, or environment access, unless explicitly enabled.
  • Supports TypeScript out of the box.
  • Ships only a single executable file.
  • Has built-in utilities like a dependency inspector (deno info) and a code formatter (deno fmt).
  • Has a set of reviewed (audited) standard modules that are guaranteed to work with Deno

Its an interesting project, and maybe one day may start to replace Node, but its still too early to tell.

2 Likes

The node ecosystem is pretty large. It will be interesting to see who ends up using it :slightly_smiling_face:

Ha, I’ve seen people already porting and writing articles about doing so. I guess the whole “whats next” ideal rings true. Another new buzzword for developers, its never ending.

I think Deno was more about the less talked about #11.

10 Things I Regret About Node.js — Ryan Dahl

#11 “I didn’t use a cartoon logo”

1 Like

It’s already 100 times better with a cartoon logo!

Are you familiar with the sarcasm character (SarcMark)? Whenever I see that (a guy at work thinks it’s hilarious that something like that even exists, so I see it often) I see the deno dino looking under himself.

I wasn’t aware of the SarcMark but love sarcasm ;-). The Deno logo reminds me of Dino from the Flintstones. Time will tell if Deno goes bamm bamm on Node.

Dino-Flintstones

I see nessie

… though I guess with the colors are inverted, and looking in the other direction…

If it’s looking the wrong way, it’s not Nessie.