Do you code in your free time after a full day of coding at work?

Do you code in your free time? what do you code and for how many hours? I personally try to avoid coding after work but have the feeling of fear due to missing out.

3 Likes

Mostly for this site! Either cleaning up something old that needs revamping or building a small project to then explain about.

My total time per day coding outside of work is probably 30 minutes max.

2 Likes

I code a bit some evenings, mostly for fun, though also for paid projects. Coding helps keep my mind sharp (or so I tell myself). In the daytime I do my actual profession, visual artist: Painter. :art:

2 Likes

I’ve been getting into algorithms lately.
I bought this book from No Starch Press called Algorithmic Thinking.
It’s basically competitive algorithm problems and the author explains them in C mostly using loops and recursion. Very interesting.
Once I’ve got a solid handle on Rust I wouldn’t mind trying to recreate them in Rust.

1 Like

I´m trying to reduce my time and rather focus on nature and cooking. It is tempting to start a new project but I try to limit that.

How do you like this book? The reason I ask is that a publisher has been asking me to write a beginner’s book on data structures / algorithms, and I have been trying to figure out how to help close a gap as opposed to competing with existing books :slight_smile:

I red this one : Grokking Algorithms

1 Like

It’s kind of like a book of puzzles… you really have to evaluate every expression to understand how its all working but its simple enough to be able to grasp even though I don’t know much C.

It’s definitely not a beginner book.
If you didn’t know any programming language it would be total jibberish :grin:

I think for beginners it’s pretty hard to grasp a concept without being able to visualize it.

I think if you did a book with heaps of visuals it would be the ducks.

There’s a good site for visualizing algorithms - https://algorithm-visualizer.org

That is the angle I’m thinking as well. Whether the book happens or not, I do plan to add more content to this section where the idea is to use more visuals to describe what the algorithm does: Learn Data Structures and Algorithms The technical/coding side won’t be a big focus.

(And whatever is in the book will be freely available on this section as well :P)

1 Like

Please take the book I mentioned as an inspiration. Grokking series are very easy and informative.

1 Like