First Attempt at Line Art

Hi guys. Well, I was feeling all arty and my ideas for my website were running out, so a brief break playing around in Fireworks extended to two days (not full days of course) hard graft to come up with my very first piece of line art! For the unintiated among you, that dude is Alucard from the anime Hellsing (which rocks btw :)). And yes, before you ask, it is a trace :wink:

I’m quite proud, if I do say so myself, I think it came out pretty well. What do you think? I started doing the coat and some of the background work, but it was looking a bit crap. Perhaps if I find the time (got exams coming up) I’ll try redrawing them… but I think it looks pretty cool as is. If anyone wants to see the original image, I can post that too :beam:

Hope you like it!

That looks mad good man… nice job

I agree. If that’s your first attempt, then it’s very well done indeed. :slight_smile:

that is very very very good for a first attempt.

wow, thats probably better than most people’s 10th attempt.:slight_smile:

nice work

sweet… i hate people who do stuff like this on there first attempt…

so annoying… :slight_smile:

yeah man! that is sooo good!

thanks for you comments! I’m glad you like it!

perhaps I will finish it then… :beam: cough after my exams cough :wink:

btw, did I cheat somewhat? I’m not really sure ‘how’ to do line art ‘properly’… as it were. Basically all the colours are different filled shapes all layered up on top of each other, drawn using Fireworks’ pen tool… is that generally how it’s done by the ‘proper’ line artists? cough kitiara cough :slight_smile:

Is it bad that I don’t even know? lol! :-\ :slight_smile:

Yeah, that counts as ‘proper’. :slight_smile:

I’ve never used Fireworks for vector art before, only Flash and Illustrator. But I think you can either do it drawing lines all on one layer then block filling, or drawing the straight colours on layers. Either way works fine to my mind. :slight_smile:

Pen tool is good, that’s what I use on Illustrator. But I tend to use the Line tool in Flash. Bwa. Personal choice really.

This is fantastic. Nice job.

How do u do this type of shading? I am not getting that.
Any tips and tuts?

lool! asking for tips :wink: I aer teh line art n00b :beam:

well, here’s what I did, dunno what everyone else does: the shading on his shirt for example - I did a filled vector in the shape of his entire shirt (including where the highlight is) - that was a dark greyish colour, then in a new layer above that one, I did the shape of the highlight and made it white. is that what you meant? Each of the white bits on his shirt are separate shapes, all layered above the the dark grey shape. hope that helps :slight_smile:

(oo… I’ve just noticed a mistake… I’m missing a bit of his collar! oopsh! :sigh:)

Yeah, that’s what I meant. :slight_smile: I’ve done a couple of things in Illustrator like that, then grouped the who lot together to make the finished image. I presume Fireworks operates on a similar principle…

I’m planning on writing a tute for my site on how to draw and colour anime…

cool! I look forward to it… I’ve really got to work on my hand-drawn skills as well… they aren’t very far reaching… I’ve produced some good life drawings in my time… but that’s about it. I really need to work on and practice doing some more anime and manga stuff. That’s the kinda thing I’m really interested in, I’m just not very good :slight_smile:

I’ve got really into the whole anime style (can you tell? :P) I find it’s great to draw, and suits Illustrator and Flash really well.

I’ll get that tute written. :slight_smile:

Kits a busy gurl :stuck_out_tongue:

Its really good!! Better than anything I could do :slight_smile: Hope my first attempt is as good as that!

• Soul :s:

Very busy. :sure:

Although I started on writing that tute this afternoon, aren’t I a good girl? :slight_smile: It’s fairly short. :slight_smile:

Yeah… you’re very good sarcasm :stuck_out_tongue:

• Soul :s: