Flash Certification

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question but since it is not a question related to a problem with Flash I’ll post here for now…

Is Flash certification any good - I mean does it really help with getting a job and so on… Cause some people have said that since it is a company issuing these certifications that have no government education body accreditation then they are probably bull… I would really like some input on this as I have been thinking of trying to take the test but the problem is that $150 for something that maybe of no value is a lot to dish out (please note that I work in Romania and earn $400 a month which is considered to be a good income. Considering that the average wage ranges between $100 - $150 it is good.

Thanks a lot guys and gals.

D :smiley:

I have never seen a requirement for certification in regards to Flash… Most want examples of your work…

I say it is bogus…

JMO

Rev

Unfortunately this is Romania and they all seem to be braindead in terms of education. I mean these people dish out some of the best programmers around because the education system is so tough but they can’t pull themselves together to put out a good graphics or flash course. To do that I either have to go to an Architect’s University and study for 5 years (6 if i want evening school) just to take a course that doesn’t last more than a semester and I really am not into the idea of a being an architect or wasting 6 years of my life. I have even searched all of the companies that offer courses that are accredited by the Ministry of Education in Romania and not one of them has a graphics design course. Go figure. Guess I’ll just have to rely on self-learning. I know it’s not as good as a course but what choice do I have. Thanks a lot guys for your answers.
D :smiley:

Well I’m techniclly studying for the Macromedia certification… The company think it’s a good idea, and since they’re paying I’m not about to argue. :slight_smile:

But I did manage to get this job without it, so it’s probably not an essential. :slight_smile:

Well, at least they are paying for it … “don’t look a gift horse in the mouth it’s the other end that feeds the rhubarb”. You say you are technically studying for it :D. Anyway do you think you can give me some pointers in terms of study material and on the net as my access to good material is quite limited in this country and what should i start with. For example I’ve started to learn actionscript on www.actionscript.org. Is that a good idea or are there better ways? Thanks.

D

Well my company are sending me on the training courses, just so as I cover everything. That’s one of the best ways to get all the stuff I reckon. Otherwise books like Colin Moock’s on ActionScript - what that guy doesn’t know isn’t <i>worth</i> knowing. :stuck_out_tongue:

The actionscript bible is a great book :), i’ve kinda been drifting futher n futher away from AS though in favour of design

Thank you all for your input.
D

*Originally posted by reverendflash *
**I have never seen a requirement for certification in regards to Flash… Most want examples of your work…

I say it is bogus…

JMO

Rev **

Thats dead on, but the advantage the certification gives you is credibility in written form like a hard copy resume. If theres no direct access to your work, then the certification will have a much greater meaning and better impression than if … it wasnt there :wink:

Most people Ive known who’s gotten it have had their work pay for it - I think mostly as a way to train and make sure they were trained ‘well enough’ for what they should know.

I don’t have one. I was hired easily enough.

I know that showing one’s work is the best ticket. Do you think that my own personal website would count (when I get around to making one)? I mean I would be quite happy to do a couple for free to gain a little more experience and expand my portfolio. Do you think that’s a good idea?
About the certification I was looking at it as something to give a little more weight to my cv because I have not worked as a designer but in administration and marketing. I don’t yet have a degree - am working on it and will finish in 2 yrs - but it is a marketing management degree, in other words it has squat to do with graphics design which is what I love to do.