Flash MX vs Flash 5

Does anyone have to use both products and how do you fond the conversion between the level of OOP converting back to the more cumbersome Flash 5?

Flash mx is better. I like is because all the important windows are easy to access. Flash mx looks better. And its got more features.

I think the question is more about converting a pre-existing MX script to Flash 5… right?

Well yes and no. I was wondering if anyone was forced through work / home differences in versions to have to sometimes code in both and I want opions on how they find having to think in VMX and v5.

well the biggie is having things like onEnterFrame in MX. That makes everything A LOT easier. Other than that, not too much difference. Super() was added in MX which was nice. A common issue going from F5 -> MX was that you could get away without using ‘this’ in F5 prototypes whereas MX required them.

ummm

You got the MovieClip object in MX as well as object.registerClass so you didnt have to use proto to associate a movieclip with a class. Not functionally different, but changed the standard in how it was handled.

bug fixes in MX too.

nothing terribly different though.

I only use Flash 5, with my Generator Clients, since 5 wasn’t dynamic at all… Some of those people spent an assload of money on Gen2, so they don’t want to give it up yet, and it is capapble of doing some things that even mx2004 can’t (dynamically load .gif and .png for one), plus eliminates all caching issues, makes dynamic graphs, etc…

I actually like coding in Generator much better than MX… it was so much simpler IMO… maybe I just haven’t fully grasped MX coding yet…

Rev

*Originally posted by senocular *
**well the biggie is having things like onEnterFrame in MX. That makes everything A LOT easier. Other than that, not too much difference. Super() was added in MX which was nice. A common issue going from F5 -> MX was that you could get away without using ‘this’ in F5 prototypes whereas MX required them.

ummm

You got the MovieClip object in MX as well as object.registerClass so you didnt have to use proto to associate a movieclip with a class. Not functionally different, but changed the standard in how it was handled.

bug fixes in MX too.

nothing terribly different though. **

you can’t do things like

var d = duplicatemovieclip
then assign d.x as a variable

can you

I know attachMovie was like that (not returning a reference to the movieclip created). I can only assume duplicate did the same (though I never use it).