Getting over Stage Fright / Nervous feeling

Hey I just finished playing a flute solo in a small talent show. I know that I get pretty nervous before any sort of performance, so I am trying to figure out ways to fix that. I read that glossophobia (the scientific term i think for stage fright) is caused by either a traumatic event, or in my case, a gradual buildup of avoiding speaking in front of public, or attracting attention to yourself in a group. I figure the logical way to fix that, is to force yourself into talking in front of people, so I should just try to play music in front of people as much as I can in front of audience until I’m comfortable with it. According to an article I found by searching for stage fright in wikipedia.com, it is more common than the fear of death.

Yeah, I agree. I definitely can’t speak in front of people (once in fifth grade I had to read my crappy essay to the entire grade, and all of the teachers and parents).

I don’t fear death at all. :slight_smile:

stage fright… i hate that!
i am still kinda afraid of speaking in big crowds, or mainly just of attention focused on me
there are some classes you can take which actually help u a lot
if u are in high school, you could take communication applications

This is what helps me.

Stare at people’s foreheads.
Pretend everyone’s retarded.
Pretend the audience is a pong field, play pong with their eye contact.

u sound like tim from home improvement
“picture everyone naked”

i used to have really bad stage fright. then my life changed with a 40 minute video named “perfect presentations” by arch lustberg. if you can afford to drop $150 or find a copy of it somewhere, it’s a golden ticket.

if you can’t, here’s my suggestion: slow down and don’t be afraid of silence.

hey I had to be in a play and I was an indian ok.
I had to dress like an indian without gel, hat, shirt and I had to wear those cloth thingy instead of pants.
I felt nude and I wasn’t comfortable.
what I did is picture everyone on fire so then I would think everyone is not paying attention to me.
Hehe but really picturing people naked is a good idea hehe.:rabbit:

You just have to remind yourself that everything is going to be okay. I enjoy talking in front of large groups, I’ve worked a lot on my speaking voice and being a little more charismatic and it’s been really helpful. You’ll find that once you can talk in front of groups you’ll feel a lot better and people will think you’re swell. I used to equate it to a bee sting or something similar, it’s momentarily painful but it’ll subside. Just do it a lot, it’ll come to you.

I’d second that. If its speaking have a good plan, take bullet points with you for reference if you get lost. Practice the night before in front of a couple of people, mum, dad, partner, neighbour. Be confident, what your saying is the best/most correct/most informative thing ever said.

And again, don’t be afraid of silence.

i am never afraid of stage or anykinda fright as i’v been performing as a dj since the age of 13, big crouds, unknown people…anyways in school my coach ones told me to face the world and eyes of the people, make them love you…but whatever you do believe in whatever you are going to say on stage before you try and make others believe in the same thing or agree on same point…hope it helps and yea as unclesond said dont be afraid of the silence, i totally agree…dont, i’v delivered many seminars, hosted college and school shows, debates and never have i left with eveyone stunned quiet and silent…meant never been that impressive or worst comes to worst disgusting…one one an average / good boundry :smiley:

Im like… extremely shy, and I absolutely hate public speaking.

I find that it really helps if you know your stuff, whether it be playing an instrument, knowing the topic of a speech, etc. I also convince myself that no one is really ‘listening’, and so it doesnt matter if I stuff up. Probably not the best mindset, its kinda like saying ‘you can all toddle off and ignore me while I do my little thing’.

In speeches, maybe bring it to a bit of an ‘informal’ tone. Though its not exactly advisable, and being ‘professional’ may not allow for it, I find that the people who bring it down to a ‘you and me’ level often deliver the most memorable (and best) speeches.

Take the time to practice talking in front of a mirror. When I become ‘used’ to my voice and speaking in an interesting tone, i feel much better for myself, and it makes it easier to speak as well as socialize.

Im like… extremely shy, and I absolutely hate public speaking.

I find that it really helps if you know your stuff, whether it be playing an instrument, knowing the topic of a speech, etc. I also convince myself that no one is really ‘listening’, and so it doesnt matter if I stuff up. Probably not the best mindset, its kinda like saying ‘you can all toddle off and ignore me while I do my little thing’.

In speeches, maybe bring it to a bit of an ‘informal’ tone. Though its not exactly advisable, and being ‘professional’ may not allow for it, I find that the people who bring it down to a ‘you and me’ level often deliver the most memorable (and best) speeches.

Take the time to practice talking in front of a mirror. When I become ‘used’ to my voice and speaking in an interesting tone, i feel much better about myself, and it makes it easier to speak as well as socialize.

Deap breathes, drink plenty of water :wink:

not plenty of water…what if you really start to enjoy and get into the speech thingy and then you feel like you got to go pee pee :smiley: you NOWAY can take the breaks when you are on stage.

lol… got to the toilet before and after or have a spare pair of pants

Walk up to the stage. OWN it!

Be a megalomaniac for once in your life. If you lack self-confidence, be an ego-psycho. Agression is necessary on stage, but; channeled agression.

Listen to any professional speaker, or stage presenter or even just an average Joe in your campus or anywhere around. Notice the tone of their voice when they talk normally in public, when they get up to the stage and then, notice the change in their tone once they get off stage. Yes! You’ll notice the after-effects of channeled agression mixed with a sense of pride.

When such presenters speak they are always polite and attending to the crowd with a lot of interaction BUT there is this subtle tinge in their voice that says clearly: “I am right.”

The only key to being a good speaker/crowd pleaser is:

Be very secure and comfortable about who you are.

Being insecure is very normal but with time and patience you start believing in yourself. And trust me. When you get on stage and give a solid presentation (even though for the first time) and get off the stage, you’ll notice something raging inside you. Feel it. Because once you feel that, you won’t need to ask that “stage fright” question anymore.

I find drinking an energy drink before speaking helps me. Defnitely not coffee though. I had a speach a while back that I totally blew because I had drank like 3 cups of coffee right before it. I was so wired I couldn’t think.

That’s true. Thus we can come to the conclusion that at a funeral, most people would rather be in the coffin than giving the eulogy (funeral speech) for the deceased.

That’d be nice to see. No? I feel… yes… No? But I really do think so… Still no?

OK.

Thats kind of funny.

I find drinking an energy drink before speaking helps me. Defnitely not coffee though. I had a speach a while back that I totally blew because I had drank like 3 cups of coffee right before it. I was so wired I couldn’t think.

I also read that Alcohol is a popular, but unhealthy solution. I feel I can just get better with more practice, I actually did much worse a few months ago when I played Eight Days a Week in front of a small group. I couldn’t hit a note for the life of me even though I did it perfect when I was alone. I will slowly improve with these tips, thanks for all the replies guys.