Hints on UT Tactical Ops?

anybody got any… I really suck at this so far

Yeah David!
Nali and I played that game for hours on end for the past 6 or so months daily. What is it you specifically need help on?

Cheers!
Kirupa :nerd:

TacOps is quite different from UT, and it takes a while to get used to it. The reloading, the not-so-easy kills, etc. Basically, make sure you buy armor and get a good weapon. The very first rounds are fun because all you can use is a pistol. In the subsequent rounds, you’ll have enough money to buy a sub-machine gun. Don’t get the cheap ones and stick with the MP5 for SF and something else for Terr (the one above Saiga).

Once you make enough money, try the AK 47, M4, Sig551, or RKS. Try not to use the M60 or M4A203…really cheap wpns and annoys the daylights out of players who watch others use those guns.

1.) Always keep moving. Jump and Strafe constantly. There is always a chance that you may be left with 1 health to get rid of the guy in a one-on-one fight.

2.) Reload your weapon even if you still have more than half of the ammo correctly.

3.) Don’t panic when you see a guy. Chances are he won’t be able to finish you with one clip. Get him while he reloads from a long distance.

4.) Always Rambo (works for me)…in other words, run into a fight by throwing a grenade and opening fire…suicidal but you’ll get a few kills if you are lucky. Nothing like getting a grenade kill after you are dead :slight_smile:

5.) All of the above tips will NOT work on all the maps. Some maps work differently than others and require different tactics.

RapidWaters

Special Forces:
Get a grenade and run toward the terr base. Throw the grenade through their main opening. Make sure you do that as quickly as possible because you want to get those who are still on their buy menu and vulnerable to attack. Avoid the Terrs who come out and try to stop you or throw nade toward the SF base.

Terrorists:
Buy a grenade and jump into the water toward the right side of the main entrance. You’ll be on the lower part of the water containment area. Walk over toward the ladder and lob the grenade toward the SF base’s door. Then climb the ladder and get the SF that are camping in the base. You could go through the bottom door and ride the lift up, but the noise will alert the SF, and a few SF who camp the belfry/tunner on the top will have their crosshairs pointed at the door.

Scope

Special Forces:
Run to your left and climb the inclined plane. Hide behind the rock on the top of the inclined plane. You will probably be invisible to the terr and you can get a few Terr as you look down over the “hill”. Easy head shots. Also, throw a nade over the narrow passage between the building and the mountain on the left. Sometimes, you can charge the building on the left and get inside. You may have terr waiting for you, but if you don’t have easy access toward the terr’s base.

Terrorists:
Basically run toward the building that you entered as an SF. You may see an SF coming through the opening, and you could get a few. Basically, do whatever you can do to avoid the SF strat I mentioned above.

I have to go now and volunteer at the library. I’ll be back in a few and I’ll give you a brief rundown of any other maps that you may have a few questions on.

BTW: These tips I mentioned are well known by other players as well, so they’ll be aware of your tactics also. Of course, as you keep playing the game you’ll get better at it and have your own strats.

Or you can do what NaliWarCowZ does and steal others kills/run around collecting weapons and money from dead people and sell it for money. Pick up gun, run to base Sell. Pick up another gun, run to base, Sell =)

Cheers!
Kirupa
:ninja:

oh that’s freaky… I didn’t know you could do that. I’ve been so concentrated on the hostages and stuff.

you’re right it is quite a bit different than either QIII or UT. So far it seems like a mix between UT and Ranbow Six. Which really is a great combination. It’s still an action game but it includes the fun aspects of mission completion from the Rogue Spear game.

I think I’m about to lose intrest in this again though. Neverwinter Knights is out and it’s a game I’ve been waiting for for some time now. :slight_smile: Welll see if time allows the playing of both.

Yeah, there are usually multiple ways you can win depending on who you play and which map you play on:

Kill All Enemies (both SF and Terr)
Rescue Hostages (SF)
Blow up Stuff (Terr)
Hack Panels (SF and Terr)

Yeah, I’m not playing much TO now that WarCraft III is out. TO was a legally free game that was excellent to fill up the time between UT and War3’s release.

Cheers!
Kirupa =)

Kirupa is horrible, j/k Here are some helpful things to learn how to do.

1). NEVER EVER rush into a room, try hanging out with a group of team mates. Kirupa always trys charging up and he either dies in first 2 sec of map or scares them and steals all the kills, rarely the latter. You will never win a 2v1 if the other people know what a trigger is.

2). If you meet someone one on one let them see you and start shooting, then if you can, jump behind the nearest crate and they’ll prob. keep shooting even while they don’t see you. When you hear the shooting stop, run over to where they are, 99% of the time, they’re in a corner reloading the gun. Then just stand a foot away and blast them to pieces while they just half to sit and watch since they’re reloading.

3). Despite what Kirupa says, always pick up guns you see. You shouldn’t go sell it right then, but at the end of you round you keep it (assuming you lived) and can sell it for $1500 or $700, allowing you a few more rounds with good guns should your team start losing.

4). I’ve never actually told anybody about this before and I’m probably the only one who knows since no body likes it. Buy nightvision, turn it on, then go to buy menu again and sell it. You get free nightvision, which IMO is best item in the game. It turns all the walls and stuff a bright red or green or something, while people stay the same color. I can see people on the opposite side of the map who are in a completely dark place w/o having to use a scope or anything, but other people might be able to also since they’ve got screens the size of alabama and so people are like life size :).

5). It wasn’t on for me, but make sure in the options window that “automatic reloading” is on.

6). Again, NEVER rambo like bombay, hes perfected it, but he always dies in 5 sec and thats no fun now is it :).

7). Bind a key to “alternate fire”, that is how you switch like m16 from single fire, to triple fire and glock to triple fire and shoot grenades with the m4.

8). Like Kirupa said, if youre running around with 1/2 a clip in, its a very good idea to reload it, UNLESS you have full life and the other team is mainly using mp5’s, like if its 2nd round and they lost 1st. They will be unable to kill you with first clip, and if you can shoot them with 1/2 a clip, they’ll prob. be down to about 2/3 life, then youre reloading b4 them and you can finish them off with 2nd clip b4 they’ve reloaded.

9). Throwing a grenade from 5 feet gives enemy 10 sec to move away, throwing grenade form 50 feet gives them 4 sec, farther the throw, more chances of killing.

10). If an enemy doesn’t see you and they’re about to go around a corner do not shoot. You’ll just alert them that youre they’re and maybe shoot them with 1 bullet. Wait till you have good clean shot from as close a distance as you can get.

Kirupa i guess explained rapid waters for his rambo tactics, although i hate playing like he does, i like living whole round so i don’t have to sit and wait while others have fun. Heres a couple more of the other popular maps.

Blister

Terrorists:
You have 2 main options. You may either go through the doorway by the tank and then take a left, where most people go or you can go the back way, directly across from the stairs. If you go by the tank, you need to sit on top of one of the boxes with the 2nd box in front of you, this makes you nearly impossible to hit. Then you may either sit there and wait for SF (bad idea usually) or try and get your team to charge through and get to the bomb site which is through the door, to your left and down the hill. If you wait what usually happens is since 75% of your team went that way and most camp like wussies cough bombay cough that you get flanked and shot in the back. The second way, going directly across from the stairs is the way i usually go. There are 2 main things to do there.
1). Sit in the big building along the wall where you can see out the door of the building to the doorway where the SF come through. You can then get off a clip in them and reload by the time they’re close enough to see / shoot you effectively.
2). The other way which does not work well late in the game since its easy for them to snipe you, is just charge through the doorway and jump up the crates to the bomb site, hopefully you can surprise them and kill a few or all. Throwing a grenade first helps since they will be more worried with running from it than watching for you.

Special Forces:
There are 2 main ways on this one, right or left. Going right allows you to meet with the main force of Terrorists i told you about earlier. Try following my directions on single player to know where it is. After you get to the main place where you go right or left, go right. Then there is a split, you may go straight or left. Go straight and then make an immediate right through that door. You should see crates in front of you, and jump up and crouch on the tallest one. Terrorists try to run to it, throw a grenade and run back. While they’ve got the grenade equipped they can’t shoot back, so just sit above them and fire down on their head, you should kill them in 1 clip easy with all head shots. If you take the left way, you should go up to the raised bomb site and camp it. There is a raised edge on it making it easy for you to shoot people, but harder for you to be shot by people on the ground. As they come through the door, shoot them, if they don’t die, use the 2 pillars behind you to hide while reloading.

Forge

Terrorists: Don’t do a bombay first of all. Don’t charge towards SF, its usually about 10v1, and who do you think’s gonna win that? Mainly just go to the big main room and what i like to do is get on the highest platform (to your left as you walk in from terr spawn). From there you can get crouch and shoot SF as they come in through the door on the 2nd level or shoot people that came through the vents on your right.

Special Forces:
Just follow everybody until you see where you can go straight or make a right, I always go right and up the stairs because i like height advantages. When looking down you get headshots, when looking up you get leg shots, head shots do like 3x more dmg. When youre up there let someone else be the guinea pig, you’ll usually have 1 bombay in the game who charges in and chances are with your 10 guys there you won’t get killed, you’ll just lose some health and armor which is a waste. Then just try charging into their base, about only thing you can do in this map as SF. The throwing grenade then running in is best method, grenades always freak people out. One thing i like is buying flashes, you can’t get flashed if you use nightvision like I do, so if you throw a flash in the room everybody looks away, and then you’re free to charge in and try to find a hiding space where they won’t know youre there, then when your teammates charge in, terr fire at them, then terr reload and jump out and steal all of bombays kills, HAHAHAHAHA, i mean sorry i stole all your kills kirupa :).

just a warning also, if you ever see someone named “bombay” ask you to knife at the end of the mission, chances are hes going to shoot you in the head with a parker hale and throw your body over a dam.

:rambo: <–Rambo always wins!

Oh ye of little Rambo faith. While Nali’s way is the conservative - LETZ have cookies and milk - type of gameplay, it provides for very little excitement in the game. I’ve provided a few screenshots of my scores that show that MY tactics do work. You won’t always win, but if you are having a good day, YOU WILL WIN doing a Rambo like tactic:

http://www.kirupa.com/temp/AOT_Forge22-3.png
Nali 0wned me in the above pic with a radical, 1337 aka leet 0/2 :slight_smile: J/K

http://www.kirupa.com/temp/AOT_Scope 18-5.png

You’ll see Nali with a nice healthy 11/7 while bombay (me) is with a RAMBOZA! 17/5:
http://www.kirupa.com/temp/blisterownage.png

And another good one I had on Forge:
http://www.kirupa.com/temp/21-3FORGE.png

I know that Nali is doctoring up images using his mad Photoshop Skillz to try to beat mine…j/k! Actually Nali has on more than one occasion won the game with a substantial lead. His method is just too boring and lacking the fun…it’s a computer game not REAL LIFE!

Cheers!
Kirupa

Ok, i’m confused right now since i’m not good with zipping and I don’t have a multi-dollar web-site to host pictures on, so I can’t add any of my pictures. But if you will notice, in all of K’s pictures, hes beating non-clan guys. All the good people are in clans, and if you notice my pictures, I’m usually beating some of the good guys from the good clans :). And it was 10v8 on that map kirupa, CHEATER :). Also, I have a picture which proves without a doubt that kirupa / bombay is a hacker. Gimme a few minutes and ill show the world

WHAT? Non clan games? Look at the names there, they all have a clan designation in brackets. If I am not mistaken, even you are in a clan. See, a lot of good players are not in clans. I find clans to be merely a place for you to be social with a few people who share the same interests. I don’t have that problem because most of the time I usually TO with you. What’s the point of clans anyway?

Also, I gotta see the pic where you think I hacked. I really want to see it :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Kirupa :bandit:

this is funny, i feel like i’m reading an comic strip kirupa style lol

ROFLMAO

well, I’m much more of a conservative player as well. I like camping and sniping.

speaking of which, I’ve found my weapon in UT, the sniper rifle. What a !@#%ing awesome weapon. I’ve been playing QIII for about a year seriously now. I can rail down aim bots on a good day, consistently… the rail, translates to the sniper rifle almost exactly, though it fires a little faster than the rail, and does a little less damage, its an exact/instantanious shot. I get head shots left and right, which is about the equivilent of getting a rail shot in QIII, since that game has poorer hit location mods.

1). NEVER EVER rush into a room, try hanging out with a group of team mates.

Got it. I’m usually the guy that tries first to get a good angle possition to fire from, then stands back and pegs people in the head from the darkness.

2). If you meet someone one on one let them see you and start shooting, then if you can, jump behind the nearest crate and they’ll prob. keep shooting even while they don’t see you. When you hear the shooting stop, run over to where they are, 99% of the time, they’re in a corner reloading the gun.

My first lesson in the game. Found this out really quickly. I’m always getting blasted while reloading… I’m a little more conservative and careful now with how much ammo I use and when exactly I reload.

3). Despite what Kirupa says, always pick up guns you see. You shouldn’t go sell it right then, but at the end of you round you keep it (assuming you lived) and can sell it for $1500 or $700, allowing you a few more rounds with good guns should your team start losing.

I’ll try this out. I wasn’t even aware that you could sell stuff.

4). I’ve never actually told anybody about this before and I’m probably the only one who knows since no body likes it. Buy nightvision, turn it on, then go to buy menu again and sell it. You get free nightvision, which IMO is best item in the game. It turns all the walls and stuff a bright red or green or something, while people stay the same color. I can see people on the opposite side of the map who are in a completely dark place w/o having to use a scope or anything, but other people might be able to also since they’ve got screens the size of alabama and so people are like life size .

Sounds like great inside Clan advice. I’ll try this out

5). It wasn’t on for me, but make sure in the options window that “automatic reloading” is on.

yeah that’s a bitch aint it? Gotta turn that on

6). Again, NEVER rambo like bombay, hes perfected it, but he always dies in 5 sec and thats no fun now is it .

Depends upon mood. If you just want to kill a bunch of shit and then go outside for a smoke, I could see this being a great tactic. My question about this is: I see that you can set the amount of breifing time in the multiplayer server mode. I assume this is the time that people have to wait out of game before respawning. Am I correct or is that another setting somewhere? and B) what is the typical time that people set for that online?

7). Bind a key to “alternate fire”, that is how you switch like m16 from single fire, to triple fire and glock to triple fire and shoot grenades with the m4.

already done. I love binding.

9). Throwing a grenade from 5 feet gives enemy 10 sec to move away, throwing grenade form 50 feet gives them 4 sec, farther the throw, more chances of killing.

ahhh, that sounds like good advice. Obvious too, but I didn’t think of it yet. :slight_smile:

10). If an enemy doesn’t see you and they’re about to go around a corner do not shoot. You’ll just alert them that youre they’re and maybe shoot them with 1 bullet. Wait till you have good clean shot from as close a distance as you can get.

I noticed that. It’s really hard to see people with the new textures and the cammo skins. They really did a good job. Mussle flash however is a sure way of seeing someone. I have good stereo too so I usually can hear direction and distance in the game pretty well.

Ah… Well I will try this stuff. I don’t think I’ll be playing this weekend though. I did get Neverwinter today and it smokes, seriously (as opposed to comicaly?)

Fantastic set up like Diablo, multiplayer online capabilities, AND a GM mode with game world and story board designing tools. All based upon the 3rd addition AD&D rules. (2nd add sucked big @%#)

The opening animation sequence beats out diablo imo, though not by much. D had some fantastic mind blowing story line animations.

I created a bard, picked up a flail, and I’m trying to figure out where this plegue is coming from. I’ll probebly be restarting as an online game though, so if anyone is interested in adventuring, and has the game, send me an email.

Ya, the new thing where you can’t see enemys names when youre looking at them is kinda stupid, it was much better in beta, teams were very distinguishable so you didn’t end up -50 on a FF map. I must defend myself in that first screen shot. I have been there a total of 2 minutes while bombay has been there a total of 23. Its hard coming into a game mid-game and only being able to afford armor and the base pistol (since bombay is mean and won’t loan guns :)) so you can’t expect more than that. And while youre right, not all good people are in clans, most are. Most that aren’t, are pretty much bad. Only pic. i see with a good player you were playing with was the one where you were using m60 cough newbie cough :). And while clans are kinda stupid, they are also kinda fun. In a public game youre playing Ops. There is zero team tactics and everybody just runs and shoots. In a clan game the whole other side of tactical is added, which makes the game fun. Plus since you won’t stay up past like 10 I got no one to play with so i just decided to join a clan for like a week :). BTW, i don’t have photoshop so all the pictures you see will be quite obvious that they’re real since paintbrush hard to edit. And david, do you play diablo 1 or 2? Cause no game will ever beat 2. The fight between diablo and tyrael? Best movie ever. The part where the fat guy blows up? Terrific. Worldstone blowing up? Lame ending for best game, but you can’t win 'em all :). Has anybody else noticed that blizzard makes great games then ends them horribley? Ill finish that topic after slobombay finishes W3.

hehe, gimme some time warcow :slight_smile: I can’t wait till the W3 expansion pack! Something tells me Thrall will be back for some vengeance on Grom’s death and that Arthas will become a “normal” human again. I hope the Undead are removed from the game…they are disgusting and yucky kinda like the Zergs in SC.

David, warcow is right about the beta versions of TO. The Parker Hale in Beta 2.2 was amazing; one shot kill anywhere on the body. The current PH only does one shot kills on perfect head shots…more realistic but not too much fun.

Todd, you were right. That Forge game was the one were I newbied around with an M60. Completely forgot about that hehe.

Cheers!
Kirupa :rambo: