How do you create a pop-up information box?

One of the cliche Flash features, I believe most, if not all, know what it is. It’s when you roll-over a movieclip/button, the text box appears, either suddenly or with an introductory animation. Many of the text within these boxes are organized so that the Flash user won’t have to fiddle with the buttons themselves to add in text to these boxes.

I believe I have the sufficient skill to create one, yet I am still a novice when it comes to applying my actionscript knowledge. I’m used to C++ and Java programming to where I can easily get confused trying to “bind” actionscript programs to the stage objects/settings.

I don’t want the raw program of it, simply a direction. I’m thinking that whenever a mouse rolls over certain buttons, Flash will create an empty movieclip, its top left corner at the center of the button that triggered it, and attach a movieclip that has the text box. After that, it will try to retrieve String data from the button or from a certain list (array maybe?) and transfer it into the text box where there is a dynamic text field.

This isn’t for a website or to harass people. In fact, such feature would be greatly appreciated by my audiences.

I actually have month before I really start this project. I realize I could simply do this the hard way since I have this much time, but I see using actionscript for this feature as an investment for the future.

Update: First step is complete: Making the text box appear when the mouse goes over the button :slight_smile:

button.onRollOver = function():Void
{
    var textInfo:MovieClip = createEmptyMovieClip("textInfo", this.getNextHighestDepth());
    textInfo.attachMovie("text box", "textBox1", this.getNextHighestDepth());
};