IP Conflict

Hello fellow Kirupians,

I have been experiencing some problems lately. At random times, Windows displays a message saying:

A conflict has been detected between IP adress 192.168.2.3 and the system that has hardware address 00:10:B5:10:62:4A.

Oh, wonderful Windows, that helps a lot :puzzled:

This has something to do with my WiFi connection. We’re using a wireless 802.11g router, that has both WiFi as cable. The computer downstairs is connected to it by cable, and I am via WiFi. The conflict is with the computer downstairs, because downstairs it also displays this message. However, my WiFi connection fails after this message has appeared, and downstairs the connection stays established.

This sucks, because it happens very often and I need to reboot all the time.

Can anyone help ? :slight_smile:

i get this all the time as well (same router), i havent figured out a way to fix besides rebooting

Make sure that if you are using static IP addresses on your machines, none of them are the same.

It would be easier to just set every node on your network to DHCP so the router assignes them an IP.

*Originally posted by fester8542 *
**Make sure that if you are using static IP addresses on your machines, none of them are the same.

It would be easier to just set every node on your network to DHCP so the router assignes them an IP. **

I’m sure they’re not the same. I am also connected to my brother’s computer via LAN. For the LAN adapter I have IP 192.168.0.1 and my brother has 192.168.0.2. For the Internet access, I have a dynamic IP and so does the computer downstairs.

So I guess the router already is giving them each an IP :-\

oh so that’s why u r going off and on from msn somany times…even i am annoyed seeing that msn msg coming up, can imagine how annoying it is for u.

Yes, that’s exactly why. It’s very annoying.

same as fester said, watch that no ip is the same…

if your router is a dhcp, disable static ip and dns and do the following:

go to dos prompt and type
**ipconfig /release **
(this will kill your assigned ip and sets it to 0)
-> depends on you os… if you are using Win98 and ME you have to type:
ipconfig -release_all instead of ipconfig /release
then type ipconfig /renew or ipconfig -renew_all
this assigns you a new ip from your dhcp

cheers

I did what you suggested dessoya, but it assigned the same IP:

3 Ethernet Adapter

IP Address: 192.168.2.3
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Standard Gateway: 192.168.2.1

I believe these were the same as before. It’s worth a try though, maybe there are no conflicts now anymore. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks dessoya :slight_smile:

Oh by the way, I’m using Win98SE.

uah, win98se… it hardly suxx with routers… LOL :wink:

okay, i suggest you to rise your adress range to at least 100…

cheers

My LAN address or the Internet address range ? How do I do that ? Sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

I know how to change the LAN address range, just not the dynamic ones …

i meant LAN dude^^ you cant change your internet adress range :wink: excepting you are an ISP ^^

cheerio

Oh ok, that’s what I was wondering about :slight_smile: I’ll give it a try, thanks :slight_smile:

Try a hard restart of your router. Unplug it for a good minute or so then reconnect it. Perhaps your ISP made the error. By doing so it forces your router to go and get a new IP.

We do that every evening.

hmmmmmm…

Perhaps you can consact your ISP and tell them whats going on and request a static IP for your router.

I have comcast and I know you can get static IP’s from them.

aside from that I am fresh out of ideas.

My IP doesn’t really allow routers :blush:

no, it has nothing to do with your ISP, its an local network adress…
your conflict is 192.168.2.3 which is your IP adress…

go to dosprompt
type arp -a this will show you the IP and the physical adress…

compare the physikal adress with your errormessage and check the ip… then you know what pc causes this trouble :wink:

cya

Nor does mine.

But you dont have to tell them about it :whistle:

*Originally posted by dessoya *
compare the physikal adress with your errormessage and check the ip… then you know what pc causes this trouble :wink:

cya **

I already know which computer is causing the conflict … but I just don’t know how to solve it. However, changing my LAN IP was a good idea, I haven’t had any error messages yet ! :thumb: