Loading external text into a attachmovie window

Well,

I went ahead and created a movie clip called “1”. Inside that movie clip I did everything you spoke about a few posts ago.

I had to change the script to:

onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
loadVariables(“data.txt”,_parent);
}

I then went back to the scene and dragged “1” to the center.

and it worked. :slight_smile:

So basically, this works embedded inside a movie clip.

Well, we made some progress. It does work. However, I need to find away to format the data in the text file. Basically, I need to have returns and some sort of control in the txt file.

Any suggestions? Anyone? :slight_smile:

you need to put & symbols around everything in your text file

& = [Enter]so…
&var1=monday&
&var2=tuesday&
etc…

What if I my data is one long paragraph? example:

“if you have any questions, requests, want to celebrate a party, anniversary, etc…please contact:dj danny (promoter of totally 80’s, club addiction, club vinyl) at 555-1212”

I only have one var and text field and its called “name”

make your text file like this:

&name=if you have any questions, requests, want to celebrate a party, anniversary, etc…please contact:dj danny (promoter of totally 80’s, club addiction, club vinyl) at 555-1212&

that will import it as a whole paragraph

Thanks coltsfan. Did my solution for embedded mclips help you at all?

Is there any other type of formatting we can do? text clor? font? size? :slight_smile:

haven’t tried it yet, been preoccupied with non-Flash bull****. I hope it works. What did you do again? On the formatting thing, you can format it by changing the properties of your dynamic text box i believe.

What do I do again? Here: "Well,

I went ahead and created a movie clip called “1”. Inside that movie clip I did everything you spoke about a few posts ago.

I had to change the script to:

onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
loadVariables(“data.txt”,_parent);
}

I then went back to the scene and dragged “1” to the center.

and it worked.

So basically, this works embedded inside a movie clip."

cool…now if i could only solve my other variable problem. I am doing the exact thing you are but I need my imported variable value to translate into a new variable. Example:
&text1=P10&

Flash outputs this as “P10”. I want Flash to turn P10 into a variable so that I can have it trigger my paragraph of text which is under the variable P10. No luck so far.

*Originally posted by coltsfan01 *
**make your text file like this:

&name=if you have any questions, requests, want to celebrate a party, anniversary, etc…please contact:dj danny (promoter of totally 80’s, club addiction, club vinyl) at 555-1212&

that will import it as a whole paragraph **

So simply putting & symbols at the beginning and end of each paragraph will create a paragraph? & = enter?

*Originally posted by coltsfan01 *
**cool…now if i could only solve my other variable problem. I am doing the exact thing you are but I need my imported variable value to translate into a new variable. Example:
&text1=P10&

Flash outputs this as “P10”. I want Flash to turn P10 into a variable so that I can have it trigger my paragraph of text which is under the variable P10. No luck so far. **

That is over my head :slight_smile:

yeah & = enter in the .txt file. Don’t feel bad, it’s over my head too. I am pleading for help but so far no luck

Ok Man, check out this swf, as you can see, I have no control over this paragraph? or do I?

I tried using & but it cuts off where the & is at.

i didnt see any text on your .swf. just links

oh duh lol here is the text files for them

and the info one

k. i see your text. Why all the a’s? Anyway, what is you want to control? Size, color, etc?

heheh. I put the A’s so that the paragraph is longer (I was testing the scroll buttons)

I want the my data to look like a paragraph. Returns at the least. It would be nice to have font changes, bold, color and links.

This has to be possible? Maybe with xml? Anyone?