Masking scrollable objects

Ive created a scrollbar for a movieclip.

The movieclip is larger than the area I wish to show it in (hence the scroll), so I masked it.

The movieclip contains, among other things, dynamic textfields.

Here´s the problem: the text inside the dynamic textfield do not show up!

Static text shows up, and other stuff, but not dynamic. Ive tested and there is nothing wrong with the actual dynamic textfield.

Is this a FlashMX flaw, or is there a way around this?

Well, I did a little snooping around and found out that this is infact an inherent flaw in Flash.

Howdy…

I don’t know what you mean by ‘inherent flaw in Flash’, but did you embed the font for those dynamic text field??? Static texts always embed the font, but dynamic texts, you have to specify it… Let me know… :wink:

Hey there,

well, what I meant was that Flash does infact not support masking of devicefonts. According to this statement from Macromedia, this was supposed to be fixed in version 6.0r47.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/mask_device_fonts.htm

However, having updated my player, I still didnt get it to work :frowning:

Anyway, as you say, apparently you can embed fonts and it will work in dynamic textfields. Problem is, I just dont know how. I tried to create one, but Ive must have failed somewhere.

If you have the time to spare to explain how to do this, or know a good tutorial, Id appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thanks

Forget what I said in the previous reply - the embed thing works just fine.

The problem was that I had named the textfield, ie. the Instance Name. If I leave this unchanged (no naming) the dynamic text appears. But if I change the Instance Name, it disappears.

crazyyyy :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

The problem is: how can I import text from a textfile to this dynamic textfield if I dont name the Instance Name???

Yup… It sure sounds crazy to me too… :*(

Can you create a sample so that I can check it out??? :wink:

You can use the variable names maybe?

But this sounds crazy all right :stunned:

Yup… It does… :wink: