Masking

Hi guys,

I’m creating a news bulletin… !! try to explain: say my main background is “red”, ok I hit the rectangle tool to create a black box in the middle of movie. OK, now I want to insert text in that black box. Once I insert the text, I want it to scroll up but once it reaches the top of the black box, I dont want the text to be visible on the red background how am I able to do this?

I heard “masking” is the route for me but I cant find no good tute for it. Can some one plz help?

Thank You

ps I know I sound desperate but I’ve been on this for two days now…:frowning:

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/textscroller.htm

thx, but instead of having to scroll the text, I like for it to be able to move on its own at a continuess pace. Any ideas?

ohhh ok i understand what you mean
I’m sorry, I don’t know how to do this, but I’ll search for a tutorial for ya

if we’re talking about the same thing than yesterday, you could use a function to scroll the TextField automatically, no masking involved. =)

// prototype
TextField.prototype.autoScroll = function(ms) {
	aScroll = function(field) {
		field.scroll == field.maxscroll ? field.scroll=1 : field.scroll++;
	};
	this.field = this;
	this.interval = setInterval(aScroll, ms, this.field);
};
// usage
myTextField.autoScroll(1000/12);

unfortunately, i can’t test it at this moment so i don’t know if it works. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just searched on google for like 10 minutes(long time in my mind) and then u just whip that uup:*(

sorry… :-\

would you do me a favor a test the script, please? :beam:

me?
how do i go about testing it?
I’m not entirely sure what to do, but ill give it a shot

I set up a static text field, and then named it myTextField and nothing happened, am I supposed do anything else?
I also tried it with a dynamic text field, but it didnt work either

thx alot for the help guys…man ive been on this for two days now…uurrgghh I did get advuce just create text, create new layer, place a box over the text and then mask and when i inserted action to the text no luk i dont even see the text… !!

kax i cant get it to work, donno what to name my stff

op masks are tricky!

:stunned:

oh! well… i’ll go get my laptop and test it. :-\

thanks for trying mdipi and 28… i’ll fix it and attach and example fla. :wink:

heres an example well was he must had took the text out to update but guys might get the picture on where im shooting at
http://www.shield-overalls.com/main.html

once ure at the main index, look to ure right and you will see “Latest News” within that box he had text scrolling up, like a news bulletin… !! that might show you what im shooting for, i wish he had the news scrolling though but check it out… !!

ps I think there should be a main tute on this…:slight_smile:

ok… it actually works. =)

i think i got it now but what about the two layers? 1 for box other for text? and there was no masking envolved? thx alot kax

huh… not even close to what i did, i get it sorta tho

here is something i tried, i learned about masks with it just now. pull it apart. as is its a lot like wat you want. you will see how it does not come in at the top yet farther down…

wowx didnt think it would be like that…cool!

:stuck_out_tongue:

• optimus
    yes… no masking, just a dynamic TextField and the script.
    and it’s up to you if you use different layers (but yeah… i’d use one layer for the TextField and another one for the box). :wink:

• xxviii
    sorry if i confused you… :-\

• mdipi
    thanks. :beam: