Microsoft Holo Lens Demo

Just in case you’ve been living under a rock and have not seen this amazing tech from MS shown at E3 this week, the future is coming fast.

1 Like

This looks cool, and my next questions are around how much it is going to cost and when we can play with it?

(Yes, working at MS doesn’t mean I know all the details about what other MS products have planned haha)

It does look cool but I can’t imagine it ever being practical for anything else they’ve said it can do. I also like unsliced bread.

Also, I don’t know about anyone else, but when I was a kid my parents always told me not to sit too close to the TV. I think they’d have a conniption if they saw this…

I would use it to create small, virtual, single purpose buttons around my home. Like a button stuck to a tea mug that would serve the singular purpose of seeing a timer for ~2 minutes of steep time depending on what tea I brewed. Or to replicate the functionality of those single-product purchase dongles that Amazon recently started selling.

Some people seemed excited about programming on virtual monitors in an Oculus, but I think an augmented reality makes more sense for contexts where tactility or spatial interactions are important. There aren’t really any VR solutions for all-encompassing qualia/senses like touch…

I’m not sure if this would be useful for gaming but one thing I know for sure this would be useful for is the healthcare, construction and manufacturing industry this opens up so many possibilities. Definitely something to keep a look out for it will change how a lot of people work for sure.

Krilon, you’d wear a big headset to steep tea?!

Grimdeath, what applications did you have in mind?

I wish I could figure out how to quote people…

TehCanadiar: Well, I’d wear a light pair of glasses or something to steep tea. I’m assuming/hoping v3 won’t require a backpack that you need to power the thing.

I work in a startup and we have 4 application we developed to help manage oil and gas production something like this would be fantastic in the field so pumpers and wear a hololens and see digital gauges for the wells with their current tank levels, pressures etc without having to actually walk up to the physical gauge.

That’s just one example I can come up with a few more like knowing which employee is at a tank or well performing maintenance, this can help prevent accidents because you could see a user name next to the tank in the hololens letting you know that someone is working on the site it can be a great tool for safety and accident prevention.