Netscape nightmare!

Hi,

I’ve created a site entirely in flash (apart from the index.htm that is) and it comprises of a multiple of movies being loaded into a backgrond colour ( movie level 0). The problem is that when viewed through most browsers it’s loading up fine however when viewed through netscape (which a majority of Mac users use) the background movie is loaded and that’s where it stops!

Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone know whether I need to add some other coding in the index.html etc

Thanks Spence :-\

netscape is our enemy. Probably just behind the terror of AOL.

Ah another AOL fan…

Oh dear that sounds bad about Netscape being the enemy, does this mean I’ve got problems then? My website is aimed at the design industry and ( although it may a bit of a myth ) most of them still uses Macs ( which I think Netscape is there standard web browser, I may be wrong? ).

Am I going to have to redo the whole website again just to reach this audience?

Has anyone built a website purely in flash? Maybe this is my problem?

Thanks (despairingly)

Spence
:frowning:

Microsoft, although obviously a fan of windows, has released an Internet Explorer for Macs. I used to use it in school because I can’t stand Netscape, it makes me want to hurl just thinking about it. Internet Explorer on Macs is actually pretty good also :slight_smile:

I am sure many of them still use netscape though.

If you don’t believe me about IE on MAC just check out this link…

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/internetexplorer.html

Hi,

I seem to have hit a nerve with this Netscape (or Nutscrape as it is affectionately known in my circles ) thing and find it incredable that it doesn’t support the flash load movie function…

Surely this can’t be true? Netscape is one of the Mac users stable browsers!!!

Does this mean that I’m going to have to tell all my Mac viewers to download Microsofts Mac version of IE to view my site?

Surley there must be a way around this problem other than redoing the whole website?!!

Spence :*(

[swf=“http://home.freeuk.com/emspencer/spence.swf height=60 width=300”][/swf]

I am sure there is a way around it. Can you post up your .fla (or an example one if you don’t want to send your official one) and I will see what I can do for ya.

After all, we are here to help, not to complain about Netscape.

I have attached a .zip file with my method of loading movies (to a movie clip), it works great it both Netscape and Internet Explorer.

I reread your original statement and I noticed you said you want it to load into the background color. I am not sure what you mean by that, but I do know that any movie you load, the background color will automatically change the background color of the movie you loaded it into.

EDIT: Off subject, but I was looking at your flash footer and noticed you were trying to get a border around it, but the right and bottom lines are cut off. Workaround: Select your right line and hit the left arrow (on the keyboard) once, then select your bottom line and hit the up arrow once. It will look funny, but it will show up correctly when you preview or publish.

Thanks for your help…:slight_smile:

I’ve sent you some files one being the Index.htm the other two being the initial background colour the next some text animation.

As I said before the Index.htm loads the background movie but the background doesn’t load the text movie in Netscape!

(thanks for the footer note)

Spence

[swf=“http://home.freeuk.com/emspencer/spence.swf height=60 width=300”][/swf]

Hmmm, still confused. Your files worked perfectly for me in Netscape and Internet Explorer. I use Netscape 6 and it works perfect.

I also noticed when i tested your .fla that you are missing some loaded .swf files, but I am assuming you just didn’t post those because they were irrelevant.

Also, you load the .swf file into the page, not another html page, maybe that could be why. You should publish your movie in flash and use the code they give you, then you can get rid of the border (I assumed this question will be asked since it is asked about 6 times a day on this board) just add this to your body tag…

[BODY <b><i>TOPMARGIN=“0” LEFTMARGIN=“0” BOTTOMMARGIN=“0” RIGHTMARGIN=“0”</i></b>]

Anyways, maybe you need to update your Netscape. Everything looks fine to me.