New project

i threw together a layout for a site that i’m doing for a friend of my dad’s. i was just wanting some feedback or suggestions for how to improve it. if you look at the site that’s currently up http://www.swaffordphoto.com anything is an improvement.

thanks in advance.

http://www2.truman.edu/~dat725/swafford/index.html

-teet

Well, I can give you millions of suggestions, but the biggest is you should use either frames or a iFrame to load in the linked html. If you really wanna make it nice, the layout could very easily be ported to flash, and you could create a nice flash site outta it. Other then that looks fine, the mouseover crosshair is kinda iffy.

i thought about the iframe thing…but i always seem to run into problems with it. if i did the iframe thing, i would end up with two scrollbars on the page. i don’t know about you, but it always ticks me off when i use my scroll wheel on my mouse and the wrong things scrolls. i think the page would look “right” if it were longer. you know, so there wouldn’t be empty white space at the bottom before you scroll.

i can lose the crosshair thing. actually i didn’t even know it was on there. i had copied that part of the script from a past layout of mine.

thanks for your help.

-teet

personally I’m not keen on the mouse icon when using the menu buttons, and I’m not sure that really wide sci-fi font really suits it, but imo it’s certainly coming along - are you going to have different header pictures for each of the pages? That could make it really effective.

nice work!

i’ve never thought about changing the picture up top, but that’s a great idea. i’ll see about that. thanks man!

-teet

nps :wink:

the picture on the top opens the whole page up, in my opinion. it’s a good picture, but as asphaltcowboy said, you should have different ones for each section. what i am having problems with is the menu font. it’s too wide and just doesn’t fit the whole “photographic” theme. :slight_smile:

also you should give the text some space from the far left margin.

thanks for your help everyone. i’ve taken all of your advice and tweaked the page.

http://www2.truman.edu/~dat725/swafford2/index.html

the page looks great in 800x600 right now, but there seems to be a little too much white empty space in 1024x768. any ideas?

-teet

perhaps put everything in a 1x1 cell table and make the page background a different colour or something? obviously, make it subtle, but it can help to focus the eyes on the page rather than the empty space imo.

okay, i’ve changed the picture on all the pages (which was an excellent idea–thanks again asphaltcowboy!) and the bar that runs along the bottom. imo the page is looking pretty good…now just for the content :frowning:

-teet

my bad

http://www2.truman.edu/~dat725/swafford2/index.html

-teet

MUCH better.

*Originally posted by teet *
**okay, i’ve changed the picture on all the pages (which was an excellent idea–thanks again asphaltcowboy!) and the bar that runs along the bottom. imo the page is looking pretty good…now just for the content :frowning:

-teet **
hehe, no worries! yea, the site is looking good m8! the photos you’ve got are really cool, did you take them? they’re not related to the headings… not sure if that’s really an issue though… personally I think their coolness supercedes their need to be related to the heading… depends on who you’re making the site for and how bothered they are I guess :smiley:

yeah…i was kind of wondering how a tunnel or subway relates to weddings or senior pictures, but i just really liked the way they looked.

no, i didn’t take these pictures (i wish i was that talented), i got them off of a stock photo site. i wasn’t sure if i should only use pics on the site that the photographer took or not…i don’t want to mislead people or anything, i just thought that they looked cool.

i’m going to show my client the site and see what he thinks about it. thanks for everyone’s help…it’s nice to have other “fine eyes” looking over my work :slight_smile:

-teet

*Originally posted by teet *
it’s nice to have other “fine eyes” looking over my work :slight_smile:
/me batters his eyelids :love: