Of Script Assist and Catastrophic AS Failure

I have no idea what just happened, but whatever it was, I very nearly needed to change my underwear.

I’m working on a SpaceInvadery-style game for a client - deadline is the end of the week and I’ve spent a week or so’s worth of time on it to date. I’ve done the majority of the engine work and am now beautifying the graphics and interface. Anyway, I was just fixing up a gotoAndPlay button to switch from one scene to another, I paused and thought “hang on, do I put the the scene name in speech marks, or…” -it’s a silly thing I know, but I can never remember. So rather than clicking for help, I thought, “oow, there’s that script assist button. Used to use that in F5, that’ll show me…” which it didn’t, so I closed it down and inserted the speech marks anyway.

So I command-return to preview, and suddenly nothing worked anymore. And I mean nothing at all worked anymore. All my actionscripts broke, and the really stupid thing is that it seamed to be the simplest building-blocks - such as the gotoAndPlay I had inserted via script assist - that were failing.

Three days out from the deadline, I simply wouldn’t have had time to rebuild it, and I honestly didn’t know where to start with debugging.

The only thing that fixed it was saving the F8 file down to MX2004, quitting F8, then open the file in MX2004, re-save the file, and hop back to F8.

It’s an assumption of mine that it was the use of script assist that triggered this particular failure, but it’s the only thing I can think of.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there another explanation?

Tar