Old Film effect

I want to do a flash move, and I want to use the effect of looking at an old film (Where there are some line, and old little freckels on the film) and I dont know how to do this in flash mx, can anyone help? Please let me know if i need to post a better discritption of what i want.

you explained it fine and i understand what you want but to my knowledge there are no components out there that do this. you would have to do the animation by hand. all you need to do is make a bunch of key frames and randomly put little splotches of black or lines going across the film.

you may even get creative, if you like actionscripting, and make several different shaped splotches and lines and then assign them to appear randomly while your movie is playing.

hope this helps

as suga said Id go the actionscript route - there are tutorials here that would help you writ the code
Peace

I would do the actionscript route too. I am not sure about components, I don’t really use them, because they take the fun out of learning AS.

With actionscript you can have it just as random as it is in the theater, instead of repeating so much you get the pattern and it becomes almost distracting.

suggestions for where to get the AS

you could use this tutorial and replace the button’s on (press) with an onClipEvent (enterframe) assigned to the first frame in a 10 frame (however long you want between specs)
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/duplicate.asp

or something like this but change the random letter values to random values specifying which frame of an MC to play (the MC would contain the specks and or lines)
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flash5/randomlettercycling.asp
you could also use the first tutorial to randmize the appearance of the specs or lines

any way you look at it this will take a bit of work … but if done right the effect should be very nice and not distracting like the canned effect i suggested earlier (as an easy way to do it) b/c as lostinbeta pointed out … when you have a loop … it often becomes repetitive and distracting.

hope this helps:)

Check this Link Out

The above link shows examples of the getTimer() function, which you can use to randomly delay the showing of your “grunge” as I guess you could call it. You don’t need to learn all the methods, although it would be helpful to have an idea of them for later reference or projects. I think the one you need would be “Stop movie for number of seconds”, it’s the third one down.

Hope this helps. Also try the tutorials Shuga sent you.:slight_smile:

I’ve done this in a movie I played around with. All I used was a line symbol and a splotch symbol, with a little bit of ActionScript attached. Minimal file size really (it was the picture I used behind it that bumped up the K).

I’ll find the .fla and post either it or the code for you asap. :slight_smile:

This is the code I used for the line and the splotch. Attach it to the movie clip itself.

onClipEvent(load) {
chanceOfAppearing = 10;
chance = 0;
}

onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
chance++;
if (Random(chanceOfAppearing) < chance) {
this._x = Random(550);
this._y = Random(400);
chance = 0;
} else {
this._x = -100;
}
}

You can alter the chance of appearing, as well as the x and y co-ordinates. And of course to get more lines, just dupicate the splotches and lines. :slight_smile:

Nice code Kitiara…simple, sleak, easy to manage…works great too.

If you don’t want it to be so flashy and fast, you can up the number in the chanceofappearing section. How much easier can it get!?

You guys are so great, thanks so much for all your help, I really appericate it. I hope one day i can return the favor.

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

I’ll locate the orginal file sometime today (fingers crossed). I used it to try and make an X-Files style homepage. Didn’t get very far with it though, but the effect looked quite cool.

Great… I was thinking about doing exactly this with my credits section. I’m glad someone else did the work for me. :slight_smile:

If you look… I did randomize it quite a bit… but there is no way to beat an a/s method of doing so.

as an enhancement thought.

Create a new movie clip. Place a stop(); action on the first frame.

Place the line, and the splotch, and any other random looking objects on each frame of the timeline. If you came up with say, 10 frames that each had a differing splotch or line.

Then go back to the movie clip and place this on the outside

onClipEvent(load) {
chanceOfAppearing = 10;
chance = 0;
}

chance++;
this._x = Random(550);
this._y = Random(400);
this.gotoAndStop(chance);
chance = 0;
} else {
this._x = -100;
}
}

or possibly… because Math.random() makes a better random number

onClipEvent(load) {
chanceOfAppearing = 10;
chance = 0;
}

chance++;
this._x = Math.random()*550+1;
this._y = Math.random()*400+1;
frame=Math.random()*10+1;
this.gotoAndStop(frame);
chance = 0;
} else {
this._x = -100;
}
}

I don’t know… something like that. Anyway… by using multiple frames this way you add to the random nature of the movie without adding too much file space.

Smart arse. :slight_smile:

I don’t know… I’ve been trying out a number of methods based upon this idea. So far this morning, none of them have looked as good as the one I currently have. That’s done by a frame by frame basis over 340 frames. Though it repeats, it hardly looks bad.

I’ll keep working on it. So far the random is certainly random… but it still shows up in a uniform way.

Anyway… I invite any to check out the credits section of my site to look at the frame by frame method.

I already checked out the credits section, I like the effect you have going on there, especially with the light of the projector flickering.