Porfolio site

This is not your typical Flash site.

http://www.trivision.biz/Rezolusion/

Hey there,

I went through your site, and I will agree that it is not the typical standard emulation site.

A few impressions I got after visiting your site:

a) You use a lot of popup windows. Now I have no problem with popup windows (whether your site uses them for the main navigation or not), but you have more than just a few on your site. Personally if it was me, I would consider revising that.

b) Your cd-rom/ for tv and digital mediums sections were pretty cool. Good job :slight_smile:

Overall I think you did a really good job on the site. Congratz :slight_smile:

Uth :nerd:

Thanks for your feed back, Uthar. Hope my site was worth your time.

Yeah, I do need to work on cutting down the pop-ups. All of the main sections do load up into the same borderless window. (I’m not sure if maybe you closed the section window before going to the main navigation and selecting another section button.) The reason I put my portfolio pieces in seperate windows was to cut down on the initial load up times of each section.

Do you have any suggestions on how I might cut down on the pop-ups?

Did the animation run smoothly for you?

Thanks again.

Hey,

As to how it ran, it did run pretty smoothly. Admittedly I was looking at it from my 1.5 Ghz machine at work. I just checked it again with my 650 Mhz machine at home, and it ran a bit slower, but it seemed fine.

As to how I would try to change it if it was my site… I’d consider this approach. I don’t know the complete layout of your site or exactly how you put it together, but it seems to me (correct me if I’m wrong) that each popup loads it’s own .swf with the appropriate content in it. If that’s how it worked and your site is separated into individual .swfs for each part, then I would just loadMovieclip the individual .swfs into your parent window movie. That would give you the same information/layout but without so many popups. That’s just one way of going about it, but it’s something to consider at any rate.

I can understand why you did separate it though, trying for small downloads is a very important thing.

Anyways, I hope that helps a bit.

Uth :nerd:

Hey,

I think I’m going to put a menu on each section. This way my Splash page will open. Then from there a borderless window will pop up with my Main Navigation section. Once a section is selected, it will replace the Main Navigation section. From each section you will have full navigational control and only have two windows open.

As for the individual porfolio peices, I might have a third window open in the lower right hand corner of the screen (I don’t know the code to do this yet) and have all of my pic .swfs open in the same window.

How does that sound?

Thanks again for your suggestions, Uthar.

By the way, where does the name Uthar come from? I keep thinking of Lothar (King of the hill people) from SNL. Ha! Ha!

Hey there,

That setup could very well work. It’s kind of hard to say until you see it (which I know makes more work for you), but once you try out a few things you’ll know exactly which version it is you’ll want to keep.

As to my name, Uthar Pendragon was the father or Arthur Pendragon. So Knights of the round table, britain’s true king… blah blah blah :P. Another place (and maybe this is more likely) that could have heard it was the warcraft series. There was an Uther (pretty close) that was one of the leaders for the humans.

Anyways, good luck on your stuff :slight_smile:

Uth:nerd:

It’s a cool name. I like it.

I see you also play guitar. I’ve been playing for about 4 to 5 years now.
I’m actually working on a demo album. If your interested, you will be able to check out some of my uncommercial art and music at:

http://www.trivision.biz/Rezolusion/NewSite.html

The site is not finished yet. As a matter of fact, it’s in it’s very first stages. Depending on how much time I’m going to have, it probably won’t be finished for a few more months. I still have to go into the studio to record. In the meantime, I will be uploading 4 track roughs. But, even that is going to take a little while because of other projects I’m working on.

Thanks again.

I tested the second website with my parents’ 450 mHz PIII 512 SDRAM and it went slow. But the first one worked fine! :slight_smile:
I agree with the popups overload. If each flash thing was on a seperate page, you could just put _blank in the parameters for getURL, but I think you must have everything on one page.

-ArjunK

P.S. >> I’m probably wrong though about everything I said :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey there,

Well I hope your tunes get put up soon, because I’d definately take a gander at them. I’ve been playing off and on since I was 9. So maybe 8-9 years in total.

Maybe it’d just give you an excuse to design another flash cool site :wink:

Have a good one,

Uth