RAM Question

Hey, I’m buying a 512MB SDRAM for my computer. Since it only has two slots, I’m using 2 128MBs totalling at 256. Will the single chip 512 work? Would it be better or worse than having two 256MB chips (costs more).

well, if your comp only uses sdram, i suggest you useing 2 similar ram modules… it wont care if you use 2 different modules…
watch on CL times - they should be the same

furthermore, there is NO ddr-sdram there is only DDR or SD-RAM modules… that´s what i don´t understand in my long job lol thats just bullsh!t :thumb:

useing 2 ddr-modules doesnt increase performance, unless you are running it in dualchannel mode (only DDR) :wink:

~~
:azn:

good price for ram = http://www.pricewatch.com

I would just get one chip of 512, since it’s SDRAM.

If it was DDR I’d suggest going for 2x256MB because of dual-channel.

Turns out, the idiots at Dell aren’t too sure. I found my manual and it said the most per DIMM slot is 256MB. But on the online documentation about my computer, it says 512MB. I’m so confused.

could you post the link to the documentation??

Sure thing.

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dmum/specs.htm#memory

ahahaa i made this thread attract many ppl to answer :slight_smile:

Get 4x 512 DDR SDRAM and you can be like me!!! :thumb:

finally someone out there with 512 DDR ! (stylingPaT :slight_smile: )

*Originally posted by StylingPaT *
**Get 4x 512 DDR SDRAM and you can be like me!!! :thumb: **

Well, not everyone has that kinda money to throw around. I think 512SD is enough for me. 2GB of it is kind of pointless.

lolz 2gb of ram, that would be very smooth stuff when playing games or running other progs :).

i would prefer 1024 but still i would like to get 2gb ahaahah :stuck_out_tongue:

P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S.

nar not pointless, i got 256mb, you think 1024 or 2gb is pointless now? …

*Originally posted by Maxtr0sity *
**P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S. **
not really dude… windows itself take a chunk load of your memory to start with, then the apps your using, then the processes in apps such as photoshop… , you will find out soon enough that 2gig might not be enough. Ram is one thing you cant get too much of. the more the ram the better. :wink:

ive got a gig and a bit ddr (333) at the moment. which is not enough for me at the moment, though i need to get a 1 gig chip to be able to put any more in my motherboard. dosent support another 512 ddr.

:crazy:

*Originally posted by …::Soulty::… *
**not really dude… windows itself take a chunk load of your memory to start with, then the apps your using, then the processes in apps such as photoshop… , you will find out soon enough that 2gig might not be enough. Ram is one thing you cant get too much of. the more the ram the better. :wink:

ive got a gig and a bit ddr (333) at the moment. which is not enough for me at the moment, though i need to get a 1 gig chip to be able to put any more in my motherboard. dosent support another 512 ddr.

:crazy: **

I absoultely agree :beam: my comp at this stage is running alright but running too many apps (i had dream, flash and photoshop) slows my comp like a ***** and everytime i close it comes up with that window saying “error closing”

right now i need 1024mb ram, 120gb space, and a p4 im afraid :hat: and a good 128mb geforce or ati … lolz a bit too much to ask i wuld say :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re prolly right. I’m just jelous. :stuck_out_tongue:

But I’ve been living with 256SD for quite a while now doing stuff on Photoshop/Cinema/MX, never had any problems with insufficient RAM. More RAM may mean 2sec less in processing time, but…that 2sec for $50? Not worthit.

do you guys have like hp, dell comps or customised?

Hmmm, I swear to god earlier today, either on this forum or another, some comany called ‘L’ something had a Pentium 3.8Ghz. I’ll dig up the link sometime.

true might not be usefull to you , but when your running 1.8 metre by 600cm document in photoshop, then tell me if 256 is enough. lol.

:: im running a P4 2.4 at the moment.

… .3.8 would be soo nice :love: