Random movement lagging up a site.. help?

Hey, any suggestions on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

I used the random movement tutorial from this site to create an effect of fireflies flying around randomly across my flash movie. The problem is that it causes the whole movie to become very laggy and slow, and the longer the movie is open the more choppy it gets. I’ve even had people testing it report to me that it started to lag their whole computers up the longer it was open.

I’m not saying the fault is the scripts, it could just be that I have too much going on in the movie. The whole look of it is greatly improved by the fireflies and I don’t want to scrap them entirely. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to prevent having to get rid of them?

Thanks much!

• Adrienne :b: (seemed fitting)

if you have any mc’s with alpha not equal to 100, i’d make them 100. how many fireflies do you have on there?

I have a bunch, but I tried reducing it to just a few and the same thing happened at seemingly the same rate. Theres a lot of use of transparency in the movie, I’ll see what I can do about cutting it down but I don’t know if I can make the alpha of everything 100.

anything that’s animated with alpha<100 will slow your movie down, so i’d try to minimize those.

Thanks, that was helpful. I couldn’t really fix it 100% but I change it a bit and the lag is a lot better. I think the alpha stuff was what I was missing in trying to optimize it.

I solved my problem through a combination of simplifying a few of the animations & symbols as well as taking some of the background elements and making them a flat jpg instead of leaving them as vector objects. This brought the file size up a bit but that was acceptable and greatly improved the lag. Just thought I’d post this in case someone else is having similar problems and ended up looking at this thread.