Rollover Menu Animation

Hi,

I’ve had a good hunt through the forum for some help with a problem I’m having but I’ve been unable to find anything that works.

I’ve been asked to design a menu that rolls out from the side and has buttons which will point to a frame in a frameset. I’m an amateur at actionscript and after three days hunting tutorials, going through them, tearing my hair out after failure upon failure, I’m nearly ready to pack it in.

Can anyone help me out here? I’ve built the menu based on this following tutorial without success;

http://www.cbtcafe.com/flash/flyoutmenu/flyoutmenus.html

I’m not much of a coder and despite my efforts nearly all tutorials about animated rollovers/rollover menus has lost me.

Thanks
Jason Just

now i know how u feel reading and never seeming to understand cos i am the same. but try out this tut at flashkit. it helped me to see what was happening (or supposed to happen at least)

link

You can try this one too: http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/type/tutorial.asp?id=30426

It is very good.

pom :cowboy:

this is a working version of ur fla, i had to change the buttons cause i did not have much time to work on them. the thing is that this might not be the perfect way to do it, but it still works just the way it should. u might find the script a bit hard and complicated, so if u have any questions plz post them and i will try to explain them to u .

enjoy

Hi,

Thanks for the help guys. Exfusion, cheers for your work, it is much appreciated. I do have some questions as I’d like to one day be able to understand and implement actionscript like this.

1/ You have a large pale blue alpha box over the whole background, I assume this is the area that if the mouse rolls off the menu bar returns to its original position?

2/ I’ve never seen the actionscript “_root” though I understand some of the principal, that it is pointing to the internal movie frame actionscripts “on” and “off” - is there any documentation on this or could you elaborate on it further?

Thanks again!
Jason Just

1/ You have a large pale blue alpha box over the whole background, I assume this is the area that if the mouse rolls off the menu bar returns to its original position?

A) the alph box is acualy a transparent button, you can create it this way

• insert new symbol (button), call it any thing you want, but i recommend(transparent button).
  • now in this buttons edit mode, don’t add any thing to any of its frames exept the last frame(hit area), and a hit area (i usualy use a box chape), you can see it if you press the edit on the transparent button in the fla i sent.
  • doing the above created a button that you can place any where in the movie and it will be invisible when the movie plays.

b) as for the roll off thing, well it was a bit more complicated than that so i will try to write a documintation on how it was done as soon as possible.

2/ I’ve never seen the actionscript “_root” though I understand some of the principal, that it is pointing to the internal movie frame actionscripts “on” and “off” - is there any documentation on this or could you elaborate on it further?

a) well, _root controlls the root off your fla, i mean you can access any thing from any place using _root. i can’t be very clear on it for it has to be explained with examples, but chick this out

_root.movie1.gotoAndPLay(“on”)

“on” is a frame label, like a target you use it instead of etlling the movie to go to a frame number, it is more iffeciet this way.
_root.movie1, is a way to access a instance of a movie clip that you created and called (movie1), the reason you use _root, is because the movie1 is in a different level than the one your writting the script in. (i think i can be more specific)

as i said i will document the emplimintation of the fla i posted as soon as i can.

glad i could help

good luck