Shoutbox

I’ve pressed searched before i made this a topic and saw some interesting stuff but nevertheless i have some other questions…

ok here it goes

i want to make a shoutbox in flash…
a) how?(can someone post a fla that i can alter because I can’t do any scripting:(
b) is it possible to add emoticons…like in real shout boxes
c) is it perhaps possible to load a ‘real’ shoutbox into flash?

tnx for the help all:blush:

1. Here is a shoutbox that I created. Its all open source, so you can go ahead and just upload all the files to a directory. It uses PHP so make sure your server supports it.

As for this one:

1. No.
  2. No, not really.

Here is the link:

http://www.kirupaforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12463&highlight=guestbook+php

First THANKS:)
gimme a link so i can put it on my site…
second and third i got a few minor probs…

well I moved everything a bit and all seemed to work untill i pressed post then the messages appear in the upper right corner instead of the middle where i wanted them…
any way to solve it? is it in the actionscript or…am clueless

other question i have one of these free php servers…it’s ok but kinda slow so i’d rather not put on my whole flash site there…is it possible to link to the php site without having any swf files but the shoutbox on it) (eg by LoadMovie…)
now i can only do it but putting both the shoutbox and the main movie i load the shoutbox in…

I know i sound a lil disconnected but i hope u know what i mean

tnx for all the help GREATLY appreciated:ub:

Well the thing is that my actionscript is kind of a little messed up in that file. Because I was going for a specific look and in order to do that with only a text file I had to get really ghetto with the AS.

You might wnat to try modifying the nXstart and nYstart variables. That might fix things, but i wouldn’t really know unless I knew what you wanted and I was looking at the file. if you could take a screen shot and show me exactly what you want it to look like I could probably tell you what to use…

well here i’ll give u the link to the swf file…then u can see for urself

http://webfenix.coolfreepage.com/gb/shoutbox.swf?ran

tnx man

I get…

You do not have access to this document

coolfreepage == No remote linking!

I have edited his post cyan, Copy and Paste the url and it should work.

Thank you for editing the URL, h88… Appreciate it… :slight_smile:

I get to see the messages on the left side of the screen not within the ShoutBox… Is it intended??? I also see the popup browser with close confirmation alert… After that, I don’t get to see my post right away… I had to press post and press cancel to see the updated messages…

can you e-mail me the fla? that way I could look at the script to see whats up and I’ll let you know what is wrong. :slight_smile:

my e-mail is ***********@.

*Originally posted by CyanBlue *
**Thank you for editing the URL, h88… Appreciate it… :slight_smile:

I get to see the messages on the left side of the screen not within the ShoutBox… Is it intended??? I also see the popup browser with close confirmation alert… After that, I don’t get to see my post right away… I had to press post and press cancel to see the updated messages… **

h88 thanks for editing the url :slight_smile:

and CyanBlue

the thing is i can’t get them in the shoutbox yet (that’s one of my problems)
and as for the browser close confirmation alert i get it as well… and i don’t know how to solve it either…

the post and cancel issue is new to me don’t have that prob

but thanks for taking a look at it

special than,ks to Jubba of course for being so helpful…after all it’s just a slightly altered version of his shoutbox(just a lay out change)

Please all feel free to give other suggestions and remarks

tnx
MC_F

its fixed up. I e-mailed the file back to you.

You are the best:))

I changed some links and now it seems to work to get my shoutbox from coolfreepages and the other files on another faster server to merge …sweet stuff dude:)))

one more question

is there something u can do so u don’t get the “the server wants to close this page” message and to automatically see the message withhaving to press previous page or post first?

well if it does not work…it’s ok am already VERY grateful:love:

I haven’t been able to figure that out. I’m still working on it, and if I can get it to work then I will let you know. The problem is that you are using Load Vars() with the send comman and that opens another window… if you just use LoadVariablesNum it won’t do that, but then the guestbook won’t refresh correctly without a fix… I’m working on something. When I figure it out I will let you know. :slight_smile:

Oh, and can you give me your URL? I would like to see your site once you get everything up. And if you want to give me credit then link to my skate board company’s website: www.livetoskateboard.com

The problem is that you are using Load Vars() with the send comman and that opens another window…

myLoadVars.send(“file.php”, this, "POST);//OR “GET”

Will do the problem posted above… However, i didn’t see the file, but i assume that this would make it work…

myLoadVars.send(“file.php”, “_self”, "POST);//OR “GET”

Those take me to the PHP page. The PHP page loads over the SWF/HTML page…

it was originally :

_root.dataLoader.send(“shout.php”, _root.dataLoader, “POST”);

I tried

_root.dataLoader.send(“shout.php”, “_self”, “GET”);

and

_root.dataLoader.send(“shout.php”, “_self”, “PoST”);

same thing will all of them…