Strange problem with button going to nextscene

Im making an enter button for my site and created the button and put the action

on (press) {
nextScene();
} 

with a

stop (); 

on the first frame of the second scene and it worked just fine… then I started working on setting up the second scene and went to test the button in the first scene again and its not working now… I have changed nothing in the first scene that I know of and havent messed with any actions or mc’s that I know of. When I click the button now the button just disappears and doesnt proceed to the next scene. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Id upload the fla but its 192 kb so cant do that… If anyone can help it would be greatly appriciated! This stupid problem is holding me up from setting the rest of the site up!

another question I have to is if I have a preloader in the first scene does it preload the second scene as well? If it does that would be awesome but since I dont have the rest of the site built I cant really tell myself.

thanks

1. Check the order of your scenes (have you accidentally added an extra scene?).
  2. What is the behaviour of your button? Have you converted it to a movieclip? Event handlers work differently on movieclips to buttons.
  3. Check the spelling and capitalization of your scene labels.
  4. Try adding _root to your actions - soemtimes adding content confuses Flash. You have to be absolutely explicit about what part of your movie your are talking to.

Preloader: using _root.getBytesLoaded() and Total() looks at the WHOLE swf, so in answer to your question, yes, a correctly coded preloader will load all the scenes in your movie.

If you want to post your movie, just delete all the extras and leave the minimum content for hte movie to act strangely. Then zip it and post it.

Also, scenes are generally not very reliable. Most of us learn that through experience.

This was the stupidest problem Ive ran into so far… I dont know what caused this because I dont have a stop command in scene 2 at all but somehow I had to put

GotoAndPlay (1);

in the first frame of the second scene to get the video to proceed the rest of the way… Way strange. Thanks for you help though that made me thinking of a couple of other things I need to look at.
heres my preloader. I think its looking at total bytes for the whole thing… can really tell though because its worded a little different than what your talking about

bytes_loaded = Math.round(this.getBytesLoaded());
bytes_total = Math.round(this.getBytesTotal());
getPercent = bytes_loaded/bytes_total;
this.loadBar._width = getPercent*100;
this.loadText = Math.round(getPercent*100)+"%";
if (bytes_loaded == bytes_total) {
 this.gotoAndPlay(22);
}

but at least I got my main problem licked… now give me about an hour and Ill have another question :wink: At least I feel that Im getting better at this exponentially everyday Im working with it!

Just a tip for this line:
[AS]
this.loadBar._width = getPercent100;
[/AS]
this is only good if your loadBar is 100 pixels wide. I always find greater design freedom / control when using the scale property:
[AS]
this.loadBar._xscale = getPercent
100;
[/AS]
less maths.