Swedish Banks

I’ve been hearing a lot about Swedish banks on movies and general readings, what’s so special about them?

Swedish people are nude at beaches… So i guess… Swedish banks have a kool feature that lets people store clothes? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are you sure aren’t referring to Switzerland banks by any chance? :slight_smile:

Swiss banks are good if you don’t want anyone to find out about your financial transactions. I think you can’t even know if someone is a customer at a bank unless that someone voluntarily tells you. If you do something illegal though, the courts can override the privacy laws pertaining to your account.

No names on accounts, just big long numbers :wink:

Siwss, that’s it. So it’s just a discreet bank account? No extra benefits?

Anonymity is a very big plus when you have illegally gained money and are looking for someplace to put it. Particularly if you have a lot of it. :bandit:

Actually, I think not even the bank knew who you were - you just gave them money to store (think movies: black briefcase handcuffed to the wrist) and they gave you a long number, and anyone who knew the number could do what they wished with the money in the account.

But I think in recent years new laws were enacted to limit this anonymity? :cop: Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any info on this. Anyone else know? :h:

:cowboy:

Yeah - if you were suspected of doing illegal activities with your account, someone can petition a judge with evidence for access to your account. Still, last I read, you can easily evade the IRS or an ex-spouse, for avoiding paying taxes or hiding funds isn’t considered illegal. I learned all this while reading about some guy called Marc Rich who was wanted in the US for tax evasion or something :slight_smile:

All this talk of banks reminds me of that guy who became a millionaire by siphoning off fractions of cents at a time to his account. He was a programmer of some bank’s systems, and he noticed that everytime they added interest, they just truncated the decimal part of the cent off, and no one seemed to care that they were losing 0.294 cents each time. So he took all that extra stuff and put it in his own account. Then he got arrested for it. I can’t for the life of me remember what his name was…

Sounds very Office Space-ish if you replace the word bank with software company :slight_smile:

High Fidelity Master Copy , I had heard that story before. Why doesn’t the government use all that money to benefit the economy or something?

:lol:

I don’t know! I was wondering the same thing. Seems like a huge waste.

Well, for one thing it isn’t the governments money. It’s either the banks or the customers. I’ve worked for a number of banks and you can be sure that whenever there’s doubt if the money is the banks or the customers - it’s the banks :slight_smile:

So all that money goes to the bank and eventually to the people that own shares in the bank.